the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:46 am 
I've encountered a problem with the "download never" setting. When I first start downloading a torrent, I immediately set a file within the torrent to "download never". If I then close the torrent and then attempt to restart it, BitTornado, while checking the existing data, will generate a read/write error regarding that file and stop the download.

I can avoid this problem by immediately resetting that file to "download never" when re-opening the torrent, but I've occasionally had problems trying to "beat" BitTornado to the file: If it tries to check the data on a file before I've got it reset to "download never", it faults out.

I can also seem to avoid this problem by allowing the torrent to run long enough so that at least *some* data has been written to all the files in the torrent. Then, even if I later set individual files to "download never", I don't seem to have any problem re-starting the torrent. (I've only done this a couple of times, so I won't swear it actually works consistently as a work-around.)

I'm assuming that this has something to do with how BitTornado is allocating and then re-verifying data.

Since I've got a work-around, I'm not too concerned. But I thought I'd report the bug, and also let anyone else having the same problem know about the work-around. (I did some searches, but didn't turn anything up. So if this is just repeating an older thread, I apologize.)

Justin Bacon
triad3204@aol.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:57 am 
I can also report similar problems with 'Download Never'.

If I download a torrent in one session, and I deny one/some files, then sometimes the transfer will stop as described in the original post.

If I manually stop the download, and later try to resume, sometimes te system will report an 'unable to find folder', or something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:34 pm 
I get that a lot too... Download Never usually causes problems. I tend to choose "Download Later" for files that I don't need, to avoid the I/O error.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:30 pm 
Cherry wrote:
I get that a lot too... Download Never usually causes problems. I tend to choose "Download Later" for files that I don't need, to avoid the I/O error.

Tried that. It does work, as in it stops the I/O errors, but I find that the files start to download WAY before the ones that I want finish, which kind of makes it all pointless!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]