the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:02 am 

Okay this is the situation, I have a torrent that's finished downloading (4GB). I'm experiencing extremely high physical memory usage when loading the file for seeding. When looking at the Performance tab under Windows Task Manager I only have 25% of memory remaining of the 1GB of RAM I have after the file has been loaded. However if I press finish and reload the same file again the memory 'eating' doesn't occur, only when I load the file for the first time that large amount of memory becomes used up and BT doesn't give it back after it's done loading the file. Is there anyone else experiencing this problem? To see if you have this problem try restarting your computer, open windows task manager, and click on 'performance' tab and look at your available physical memory. Now load a torrent you want to seed (use a big file somewhere around 600MB - 1GB) while still focusing on the available physical memory see if it rises dramtically while loading the file and see if the memory frees itself back up after the file is done loading. Here is my system configuration:

winxp pro sp1
1gb of pc3200 ram
463GB of total hdd space (2x 74gb RAID 0, remaining for backup)
All drivers, bios, firmware, etc have been updated to its lastest version
I recently reinstalled windows 3 days ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:55 am 

I have a similar configuration, and I'm showing a constant memory usage of 30 megabytes while hash-checking a 5 GB torrent. High (and I'm trying to reduce it), but not as bad as you're reporting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:37 am 

I have a constant 30MB usage as well while hash-checking whenever a bt window is open, however if you look at the Physical Memory box under the Performance tab while hash checking you can see the available memory being 'gobbled' up dramatically when loading. Honestly if its only 30MB being used up thats something we can afford with our available memory, but 30MB is not the honest number that shows under the Processes tab. As of now I'm showing a available 468700K+ of Physical Memory remaining, thats over 50% usage rate, but when I look over at the Processes tab I only see 22MB ~ 25MB for each bt window I have open (3 windows total for a approx. 75MB usage) and bt is the only program I've been running the whole night, nothing else. What I am saying is after a fresh restart look at your 'available Physical Memory' under your Performance tab NOT your Processes tab and continue looking at it while your loading the file and see the difference before and after loading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:29 pm 

I *always* show that much physical memory in use. I suspect XP uses a lot of physical memory for disk caching and frees it up as necessary. If your available memory were dwindling to zero I'd be concerned, but as-is I don't think you have one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:50 pm 

I see, I never paid any attention to my phy. memory usage until recently. Thank you for taking your time to reply Shad0w I just wanted to confirm this high level of phy. memory usage was normal.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]