the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:22 pm 
Hi !

Not a major problem, just a simple question.

I'm using Shadow's client S-5.8.11 and at the bottom of the main window, I see "Tip : your download rate is proportional to your upload rate". :?

Does is mean that my download rate is limited by the upload rate I set (like in eMule, if you set your u/l rate to 6 kb/s, your d/l is limited to 24 kb/s by the software) or is it just a hint ? :roll:

I'm asking this because I'm downloading a torrent from a lot of seeds and peers (~10 seeds and 100+ peers) and the d/l speed hasn't got higher than 25-30 kB/s in the past 2 or 3 hours and I find it a bit strange.

My current settings are : dialup/isdn, upload rate : 5 kB/s, max uplods : 3.

The reason I'm asking is not I don't want to share (of course not :) ) but because my connection is cable 512/128 and I have a slow PC (200 MHz) and know that, if my overall upload rate goes above 10 kB/s, either the d/l speed or the PC resources tend so crawl. :(

Since I remember having speeds like 50-60 kB/s over a long time with previous versions (which made me love BT and Shadow's lovely client), I'd like to know if a limitation has been implemented in the newest client or if I just have bad luck with this particular torrent :roll:

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:17 pm 
no limitations, just bad luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:13 am 
Yep, seems to.
I switched to another (newer) torrent file and the download speed is much better on this one :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:57 am 
I don't like it when I upload at like 100kb/s but only download at like 20kb/s.
It's not that I'm not willing to share, it just doesn't seem like good value for my connection. I want to limit it to say 50, but at the same time, I don't want it to affect my download rate.

Post subject: The more ... the less
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:46 am 
Yeah, I see what you mean.
But, with an upload of 100 kB/s, your client must be choking a lot on clients like mine, maybe that's why you don't receive so much :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:02 am 
As far as i am concerned, i have an AMD1,6 256 DDR and a 8,0Mbits/s
connection and i set:

settings for T1 u/l rate 200kb/s
Max u/l 10
and i am still doing 5kb/s d/l :shock:
and 40 kb/s u/l

So is it the torrent ?
Be aware that I never went over 30k/s during a d/l.
Help plz

ps: what port should I use if I want to change it (default 6881->6999) because my Internet Provider blocks some of the ports.
thx all

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]