the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:07 am 
I have been using bittornado since it was still known as shadow's experimental client. Recently a batch file i was downloading reached 99.7% completion and then froze. It was not a little database file and i wasn't just reciving recurrent bad information. It had simply stopped downloading at 99.7%. This is not what i'm complaining about, however.

I decided to do a little experimentation with the file using bitcomet to see if i could get the file to complete. That having failed, i moved 24 of the 26 files to a different folder and then completely deleted the 2 errornous ones. Bittornado again failed to finish the two files and i then repeated this little experiment with bitcomet. Sadly, mid-download i noticed that there were only 10 seeders and 800~ downloaders for the file. Since i already had all of the file i felt it would be best for me to seed, so i opened up bittornado and pointed it to the new folder i had moved the 24 working files to. A short hash check later i was down 3 gigs of downloaded material.

As far as i can tell bittornado still had it in its memory to only download the two files from earlier. When it ran the hash check it decided to DELETE everything in the folder that was marked as unwanted, leaving me with almost nothing. To make this problem worse, i just attempted to use a file recovery program to replace the deleted files. Not only did the program not detect any missing files, but a second, quickly downloaded, program came up with nothing as well. It's as if the files were never there.

With three nights of downloading looming in my future, I wanted to rant here about what i consider to be a flaw in the program. Bittornado should never delete anything, ever. It would be much better if it just ignored the files that were unwanted.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]