the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:40 pm 
I was wondering how important the share ratio is in BitTornato becuase i always seem to have an un happy face on that thing... But my Friend is always Green at like 3.4 BUT Hehe just has a slow ass DSL connection(and a stupid FW) and uploads like 8-15k and d/l's at like 3-5k but i Upload at like 50K/s on everything i download! i have a High Speed Cable so i ussually download 80-150K/s I hardly think its fair that a 8K/s uploaders get prority over some one uploadling like 10x more data then him cause you have a fast D/l.... Any One know how this works and if im wrong or not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:31 pm 
Revant wrote:
I was wondering how important the share ratio is in BitTornato becuase i always seem to have an un happy face on that thing... But my Friend is always Green at like 3.4 BUT Hehe just has a slow ass DSL connection(and a stupid FW) and uploads like 8-15k and d/l's at like 3-5k but i Upload at like 50K/s on everything i download! i have a High Speed Cable so i ussually download 80-150K/s I hardly think its fair that a 8K/s uploaders get prority over some one uploadling like 10x more data then him cause you have a fast D/l.... Any One know how this works and if im wrong or not?

Where's the problem? You're downloading at 80-150K/s; he's downloading at 3-5K/s. I believe the little happy face is only to let you know how much you've shared vs. how much you've downloaded. It doesn't sound like you're having a problem with downloading, so just make sure you keep seeding after you finish your download and you'll get the green happy face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:21 am 

Thats right, it is requested that ppl leave their uploads on after they finished downloading for at least as much MBs that you downloaded. Once you upload as much as you d/l you will get a green smiley :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:16 pm 

Please note that the share ratio displayed is merely for your own edification.

< 0.5: :-(

0.5-1.0: :-|

>1.0: :-)

started as seed: :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:39 am 
And also please note that some sites bann people with really bad tendency to grap and run. So take care that you are a happy green face!

Don't come crying back here if suddenly you can't download and get nasty messages saying you are refused/banned/not allowed........

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:21 pm 
The share ratio is simple: Downloaded MiB divided by Uploaded MiB gives the number at the left side of the sad/serious/smile face.

As stated by TheShadow, it is merely for our own edification. It is not unfair, however the Guest remind us there are some sites banning people around just to keep their own Share Ratio belief.

One of this sites is Desi Torrents - they request 1:1 ratio to keep you up. Is it unfair? YES... and it is ridiculous...

The Upload Rate is lower than Download Rate... and there are people around the world working with unidirectional DSL/Cable (1Mb/s DL per 56Kb/s modem UL).

Just an example:

I am running over a Cable (256Kb/s DL per 256Kb/s UL), I keep the default Upload Rate (40KB/s for DSL/Cable fast setting or 13KB/s for DSL/Cable slow setting) - with these settings I usually get a Download Rate of 10KB/s twice the Upload Rate of 5KB/s... suppose that I am downloading a 200MB file, I would spend 6 hours downloading and 6 MORE hours uploading the file.

I think it is a BT protocol bottleneck since file is distributed in small pieces to keep you uploading up to the downloaded file is done.

I have my own solutions to that problem: I leave the file uploading...

- up to 0.72-0.80 share ratio during day AND/OR;
- all night long no matter share ratio AND/OR;
- if one of my uploading peers is near to complete (more than 80%) the file AND/OR;
- if I can leave 1 or more distributed copies for my peers and there is no 100% seeder around AND/OR;
- if I have a good upload rate for at least 1 peer AND/OR;
- if I have an average upload rate for at least 2 peers...

and so on...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]