the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Crashes hard
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:36 am 
Sadly after I installed and started using your client I started having issues with my system which I never previously had any at all. It crashed big time and continued to do so. I had to roll back my system to get it to work properly again. From what I can tell your program and others like it beyond the basic one are too memory and CPU intensive. I'll wait until your product is not experimental.

R~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:27 am 

It's not memory-intensive because it's experimental, it's because of all the features added; and the additional overhead really doesn't amount to that much. Try updating your network adapter drivers as per http://www.bittornado.com/faq.html .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:33 am 
Might be a really long wait :)

So your "system" was trashed because of BT experimental?

Never happened to me, maybe I have a faulty OS?

Our specs are exatly the same :)

Never give too much information while asking for help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:15 am 
Anonymous wrote:
Never give too much information while asking for help!

Yeah, and don't use the search function.

Post subject: virus problems...
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:05 pm 
Alot of the time viruses are exchanged between bt clients (maybe a malicious user), how would we secure the bt network since the technology of bt is p2p? SHADOW any suggestions? <g>

Recently while using BT i was hit by a virus that does buffer overflow on lsass to crash it hence restart my computer. I've applied the patch from microsoft to resolve the problem, and I always update my norton antivirus.

Since I installed BitTornado T-0.2.0 every so often it crashes meaning the client hangs with 100 percent CPU. My assumption is that it may be a socket error from a abrupt disconnect from the network or something of that nature. Any insight? My guess is that probably someone is flooding my connection...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:25 pm 
Bittorrent and other p2p programs only transfer data, you are responsible of the data you download/upload and you also have to secure your system by yourself. The lsass overflow has nothing to do with bittorrent.

Post subject: Re: virus problems...
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:08 pm 

phatdragon wrote:
Alot of the time viruses are exchanged between bt clients (maybe a malicious user), how would we secure the bt network since the technology of bt is p2p?

By finding better sources? Since bittorrent verifies the hashes of everything it downloads, if you manage to get a virus in a file you downloaded through bittorrent, it was in the file from the source and the only way to lessen the chances of that happening is to find better sources for whatever you are downloading. If by virus you mean the type that infect through known windows vulnerabilities on its open ports or known exploits in your web browser, then that is due to you not being properly firewalled or you not being properly patched and isn't caused by BitTorrent.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]