the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: UDP Tracker Support?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:26 am 
I noticed that everytime I try to download a torrent that uses a UDP tracker, Bittornado does not recognize this type of tracker. Are UDP trackers supported in Bittornado? I would hate to use another BT client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:33 pm 

If the torrent is set up to only have a UDP tracker, it's probably not worth getting because the torrent makers are alienating over half of the clients currently out there.

I know of two actual active trackers that use UDP, and only one of them is UDP only.

I say try to find the file elsewhere. The UDP announce specification isn't really all that widely supported or used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:39 pm 
DWKnight wrote:
If the torrent is set up to only have a UDP tracker, it's probably not worth getting because the torrent makers are alienating over half of the clients currently out there.

I know of two actual active trackers that use UDP, and only one of them is UDP only.

I say try to find the file elsewhere. The UDP announce specification isn't really all that widely supported or used.

Oh I see. Thanks DWKnight! :D Another quick newbie question: What exactly is a tracker? For instance, is it an actual website (since it has HTTP in front)? Or are they simply a server that holds peer info that only the torrent client can access?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:36 pm 

Quote:
Oh I see. Thanks DWKnight! Very Happy Another quick newbie question: What exactly is a tracker? For instance, is it an actual website (since it has HTTP in front)? Or are they simply a server that holds peer info that only the torrent client can access?

The tracker itself only holds and relays peer info for the torrent clients.
The torrent hosting site provides downloads of .torrent files and displays statistics.

Some packages integrate both into a single package, but that can cause problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:55 pm 
Click on 'details' copy the url, click advanced and then 'external announce' and paste the udp://etc BUT replace udp with http
It should work then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:39 am 
Wwhaty wrote:
Click on 'details' copy the url, click advanced and then 'external announce' and paste the udp://etc BUT replace udp with http
It should work then.

Amazing, it works. Weird though, I thought UDP is a trackerless protocol. How does changing the UDP to HTTP work? But thanks Wwhaty, your trick works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:05 am 

Quote:
I thought UDP is a trackerless protocol.

What made you think that?

Quote:
How does changing the UDP to HTTP work?

Apparently the tracker in question supports the proprietary UDP and the standard HTTP announce protocols. If that is indeed the case, the torrent should have been made as such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:04 pm 
Well but what about the original question, does bittornado support udp trackers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:12 pm 

Guest 37827 wrote:
Well but what about the original question, does bittornado support udp trackers?

No, and it probably never will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:51 pm 
DWKnight wrote:
Guest 37827 wrote:

No, and it probably never will.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Judging by your replies, it seems you don't like udp trackers that much. May I ask why? I am starting to test using udp trackers on my torrents (along with the regular tcp ones, of course) because I read it uses much less bandwith than tcp. Wouldn't that be an advantage for popular trackers to reduce the bandwidth load?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:14 pm 

The UDP announce protocol has VERY little support outside of the original development. (Totalling 3 client packages and 3 tracker packages at last count, one of each seems to have fallen into an abandonware state).

Several functions of the UDP announce protocol are rebuilding what is already present in the HTTP(TCP) announce STANDARD, including security and data arrival reliability.

Bandwidth requirements for pure trackers right now are low enough that people on residential connections are running 10k+ peer trackers without affecting their browsing.

Weeding out the bad clients and preventing them from even connecting is the better option to reducing load.
Older versions of BitComet and uTorrent were found to be abusive against multitracker networks and trackers with multiple listen ports (improper multitracker implementation. I reported it to both and it was corrected.)

Requiring clients support compact announce is the biggest way to save bandwidth over older announce methods. (reference comparison)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:16 am 
Thanks again for the clarifications, it's good to know the real truth on this matter.

No more udp trackers for me ;)

Regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:18 pm 
I'v tried a few torrent clients and i always turn back to bitornado. I use REDACTED. I think its probly the best torrent site around. They offer HTTP and UDP trackers for all of thier torrents, and from what I hear UDP is faster and safer than HTTP if your using a good client. As bitornado ever considered adding UDP support ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 am 
Anonymous wrote:
I'v tried a few torrent clients and i always turn back to bitornado. I use REDACTED. I think its probly the best torrent site around. They offer HTTP and UDP trackers for all of thier torrents, and from what I hear UDP is faster and safer than HTTP if your using a good client. As bitornado ever considered adding UDP support ?

No, the UDP tracker spec was only made to help reduce bandwidth usage and load on the trackers themselves. It makes very little difference to the client.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]