the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:51 am 
This problem has happened to me for the past 3 months or so. From what I've searched on the internet, some other people have had the problem and there's been NO fix for it for months and months.

The problem is, I get hash check fails for a piece repeatedly for hours, the download never finishing. This sometimes happens for a few pieces. Usually I get stuck around 99.9% (or a bit less) with the client downloading the same piece hundreds of times. I've tried basically every client around, I'm now sticking with Azureus, even though it hasn't fixed it.

Using the setting "ban users who give you bad data" hasn't worked for any client.

Has anyone solved this major problem yet? I'm at my wits end. =/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:05 pm 

Try making sure your cable/DSL router isn't in game mode. Also, try bypassing the router and plugging your machine directly into your uplink.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:38 pm 
JazzFlight wrote:
Using the setting "ban users who give you bad data" hasn't worked for any client.

I've actually seen shadow's client ban IPs for repeatedly sending bad chunks. But sadly, it takes a while for it to happen, and a LONGER while if the verified chunk sizes are rather large on the torrent since the only way to know for sure that someone (intentionally or unintentionlly) is sending a bad chunk is for a specific peer to send you a complete chunk that can be verified on its own. The bigger the chunk size, the longer it seems to take for the client to achieve that and identify people injecting bad chunks into a torrent. For one torrent I was grabbing that had 4 meg verified chunk sizes, almost 100 megs (or 25 chunks) was wasted in the download before shadow's client could properly identify two peers that were uploading bad data. If the same torrent had smaller chunk sizes like as small as 256k or so, I am sure shadow's client would have picked up on the bad chunks a lot quicker and not have lost so much from redownloading from some of the same chunks from the bad peers over and over and over again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]