the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 7:49 pm 
Hey, there. I'm using Bittornado in NetBSD and every so often this error creeps up on me.

ERROR (Time) -
IO Error: unable to open "filename" [Errno 24] too many open files 'files'

Then BT stops working. This happens when I download torrents that have alot of files in their directory. I thought this was NetBSD specific but my friends who use linux have the same problem creep up even more often than I do. Do you know of any work arounds for a problem like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 9:11 pm 

Prefs/Advanced/set Max files open back down to 50. I added this feature to my client specifically to fix this problem.

If # files is set at 50 and you're still getting the problem, something's wrong with your kernel settings. Default for most *nixes is 512 or 1024 file handles max. Could some other app be using up your handles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:07 pm 
Thanks for pointing out the feature. It is already set to 50. Pehaps I should turn up the value instead since their are more than 50 files in some of the torrents I'm downloading.

I was wondering if python as the problem since doing an sysctl -a shows my system wide limit as 1024 open files and my per-process limit is 256. I don't have any programs running most of the time when BT is going so I knew it couldn't be an other app.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:35 pm 

If you think it is python, here is a test program I wrote up that you could use to test.

The below code opens up to a max of 2000 files (and creates them in the process of doing that) with the name of deleteme*.txt. If it fails for any reason, it will print out how many files were successfully open. When it is done running, you can clean up the files by deleting the "deleteme*.txt" files it creates in the same folder you ran it in.

Before running this program, be sure to make a temp folder and then copy this program to that temp folder and run it from the temp folder.

Code:
openfiles = []
try:
  for x in range(2000):
     openfiles.append(open("deleteme" + str(x) + ".txt", "a+"))
except:
  pass

print "I successfully got", len(openfiles), "files open!"

In linux, with a limit of 1024, I successfully was able to open 1021 files.

What is the number you get with this?

Last edited by bytetorrent on Wed May 05, 2004 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:14 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:36 pm 
It's especially strange since a similar perl script gives me 1017. I'm going assume it is python. I downloaded a binary when I installed python cause I was lazy (as did all my friends). I'm going to install it from source and see where that gets me. Thnaks for the tip off bytetorrent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:00 am 
Alright this thread can be closed now I guess. It turns out that the precompiled binary of python didn't have the appropriate privalages to change certain per process values. When I compiled it from source it now seems to have all the neccesary privalages to change values according to my sysctl. Very odd. The more I have trouble with binaries the more I hate them. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:00 am 

And that is why, my friend, you should ALWAYS compile from source. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:18 pm 

Just FYI, I found out that this can also occur due to a bug in some BSD installs. To diagnose, do "lsof" and look for a lot of entries marked KQUEUE.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]