the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Windows SP2
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 pm 
I reformated my hard drive and installed widows SP2 now my downloads a SUPER slow... what do I do? should/can i unistall SP2 or is there something else I can do? please help.... im going NUTS!!!! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:04 am 
Win XP SP 2 has a software firewall which is enabled by default...that'll make BitTornado firewalled and probably pretty slow.

If that isn't bad enough, Win XP SP 2 also has a half-open connection limit of 10...so BitTornado can only try to make 10 connections at most at a time. If any get "stuck" trying to connect, then it can't even do 10 at a time...it still counts those stuck ones as part of the 10.

You need to disable or reconfigure the software firewall.

And you'll need the Lvlord hack to allow >10 half-open connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:01 pm 
Just add BitTornado to the allowed program list. I've been using Windows Firewall since it came out and haven't had any problems with it. :) And don't worry about the connection limit. Since BitTornado only makes one connection attempt, to the tracker. :roll: Of course the moment a connection attempt is responded to in any way it's no longer a "half open" connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:11 am 
Dark_Shroud, you are mistaken. It is true you get the seed/peer list from the tracker, but your connection has to do something with them -- the tracker doesn't connect them for you. EVERY peer and seed you connect with was connected either by them connecting to you...or you made a connection attempt to them.

Innumerable ips listed by trackers are firewalled but BitTornado attempts to connect to them anyway...failing of course because they're firewalled. But until the connection attempt times out, it can count against the half-open connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:13 pm 
<sighs> For the time being I'll not argue about the limit block except to say that I support it and have not noticed any hinderance when I switched from 98SE to XP Pro with SP2 already installed.

Don't forget, BitTornado also has PEX to get it's IP list.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]