the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Optimum Performance
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:25 am 
I've been using BitTornado for quite some time and happen to really like it. In fact, I've yet to encounter any problems. My question concerns optimizing performance.

I've noticed that my downloads proceed quickest whilst operating on automatic. As much ususally results in rapid downloading (up to 700 kb/s) but very limited uploading; in order to seed, I have max out unlimited operation to spike the upload rate (which ususally works). However, initially using a maxed-out unlimited mode degrades downloading speed to the benefit of uploading (which is somewhat unexpected).

I know speedy downloading is contingent on many things -- and I am ignorant of the infrastructure subtlties surrounding torrent operation -- but what do you, the average BitTornado user, do to optimize your performance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:59 pm 
Knowing your effective max upload speed is and using something less than or equal to that amount is ALWAYS faster than setting speeds to "unlimited".

Problem is, while you're downloading very fast...just the requests to "send more of the file to me!" costs considerable upload bandwidth. That's why upload speed devoted to sending file/s to others decreases while downloading quickly.

For me, I can upload 40 KB/sec. If I'm downloading faster than 100 KB/sec, my upload speeds drop to about 38 KB/sec...possibly as low as 32 KB/sec.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:42 pm 
download of 100kb/sec requires at least 8kb/sec on upload or 80kbps.
If you have 10/1, you gonna need at least 80kb/sec on upload...
possibly all since download consume at least 90 percent of your upstream.
asymmetrical was designed in a way that you upload are only small enough to max out your downstream. that's the truth!
if you have somethin' like 1.5/1.5
you can set upload at 140kb/sec and still max out your download at 150kb/sec that's why T! is very good for leechers and seeder.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:32 am 
Quote:
If you have 10/1, you gonna need at least 80kb/sec on upload...

Kilobits or kilobytes?

For ATM based connections (ADSL mostly) the upload requirement of the download speed is few percents. ADSL fullrate (8000/800kbps for example) doesn't consume 80kB/s upload while downloading at max speed. The ratio is about 850kB/s down - 20kB/s up sending acks (40:1).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]