the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:10 am 

Like the subject says. What do you need this feature for. Whats it do? And when would you use it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:37 am 

It is for the situation when your computer is connected to a UPnP router. Instead of statically forword 6881-6999 to the BT computer, UPnP will set forwarding dynamically when the BT client is openned. Dynamically means any port can be assigned, does not have to follow the standard of 6881-6999. Fowarding will be removed dynamically when the BT client close. That's the idea behind UPnP in the networking area.

Disadvantage of statically forward ports give greater chances of being attacked; beacause when hackers know every BT will use port 6881, they can target 6881 of every IP address.

Advantage of using UPnP protocol can reduced being attacked; and possibly clear up frustration for those who are still struggling with yellow light cus they couldn't setup forwarding correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:18 pm 
My Cable / DSL router has UPnP features which I don?t plan on using. In my opinion enabling that feature on the router is a security risk (unless that is, I drastically misunderstood the way UPnP works)

Whole point of having a firewall running in the cable/dsl router is to NOT to have open ports. I don?t mind setting up static forwarding routes for bit tornado in whichever range I feel like. If normal programs can use UPnP to bypass the firewall and set up listening ports through the router so can backdoor Trojans, worms and viruses, and there goes up in smoke functionality of your routers "firewall" feature

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:55 pm 

NullSH wrote:
My Cable / DSL router has UPnP features which I don?t plan on using. In my opinion enabling that feature on the router is a security risk (unless that is, I drastically misunderstood the way UPnP works)

Whole point of having a firewall running in the cable/dsl router is to NOT to have open ports. I don?t mind setting up static forwarding routes for bit tornado in whichever range I feel like. If normal programs can use UPnP to bypass the firewall and set up listening ports through the router so can backdoor Trojans, worms and viruses, and there goes up in smoke functionality of your routers "firewall" feature

You just shot down your own statement. When you setup static port fowarding, you already broke part of the router's firewall feature.

You don't understand the main key. When you statically forward port range, those ports are opened for traffic to go through 24 hours per day. A simple probe will reveal all the ports your router is forwarding. https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

UPnP open the port when running and close it when done. So when some people probe for open ports while the job is done, they won't find any. Another way to say that is it breaks part of the firewall to do it's job; then build back the full firewall when the job is done.

Backdoor Trojans, worms and whatever can connect in to communicate whether you use UPnP or not. As long as it is being run on the target machine given that part of the router's firewall is broken (either statically or dynamically). For the case of statically, the worm can test all port for listening while outsider probe for your opened ports and target only those ports then wait for the worm to catch it. That's the reason why you don't completely rely on router's firewall. You should also use software firewall like ZoneAlarm which will ask you for permission when a new program is trying to listen on certain ports and/or trying to connect out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:03 pm 

hmm, well, you have a grc.com link in your message, ShinRyuu, so you(and anyone else interested in reading about UPnP) might wanna check this out about UPnP
http://grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 6:37 am 

Yusuke wrote:
hmm, well, you have a grc.com link in your message, ShinRyuu, so you(and anyone else interested in reading about UPnP) might wanna check this out about UPnP
http://grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm

There are different divisions of UPnP. The UPnP on that page is talking about your computer being an UPnP server which accepts UPnP requests. Which has nothing to do with UPnP forwarding the BT client is using. That part of UPnP can safely disable as you wish.

In our case, the router is being the UPnP server which accepts BT client's UPnP request. It only accepts request from internal connectors and does not accept from WAN connector.

As my understanding, router does not forward UPnP request/traffic from outside to your inside network unless you specifically configure it to do so. Again, a probe will show you UPnP port is blocked by your router. UPnP server is more of an internal feature which does not carry over to the internet if your network is setup properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:39 am 

I'm not that fond of UPnP myself, but plenty of people simply have no clue on fiddling with their firewall and are incompetent to learn. Also, if you're smart and have disabled your UPnP access, having it turned on in the client doesn't do anything. So it's still a nice thing to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:16 pm 
TheSHAD0W wrote:
Also, if you're smart and have disabled your UPnP access, having it turned on in the client doesn't do anything.

I have both UPnP/SSDP services set to manual on WinXP SP1 and the UPnP on my router is disabled. If I have bittornado running with UPnP enabled, my cpu slowly but surely starts climbing up in usage. I didn't catch this at first because it was svchost that was slowly using more and more cpu but when I went into the services I noticed that the SSDP service was repeatedly trying to start up for no reason but failed everytime and that was the cause of the CPU usage. When I turned off UPnP in bittornado, the problem immediately went away. Setting the services to disable instead of manual works also.

I don't know if this is by design because of the nature of UPnP but in case anyone else encountered this strange cpu issue, you might want to make sure you turn it off in bittornado too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:21 am 

The UPnP attempt only runs when the client starts or stops; you shouldn't be seeing any other CPU usage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 5:35 pm 
hey man when i start a dl it says couldnt listen - unable to foward port via UPnP i dont know wat to do its was fine before and then suddenly today it went retarded and started saying this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 11:30 pm 

Prefs, uncheck the UPnP forwarding option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:14 pm 
kapow!!! wrote:
hey man when i start a dl it says couldnt listen - unable to foward port via UPnP i dont know wat to do its was fine before and then suddenly today it went retarded and started saying this

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]