the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:51 pm 

i finally was able to get the light green thought port forwarding on my dsl modem

but after i changed the port forwarding on the dsl modem the torrents were flying but the internet was really sporadic, wouldn't load webpages, lots of time outs, webpages and such would work just like normal at first but then get more and more sporadic.

all the while torrents were flying

any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:49 am 

Chances are your torrents took up all your bandwidth & you don't have any left to surf the net. Try freeing up some of the bandwidth by setting a max download rate. I usually set the limit when I'm browsing & set to unlimited again when I'm not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:53 am 

Another thing you can do is try to reduce the number of peer connections (Prefs -> Advanced) to make it so that more TCP connections are available for other things (since your modem probably can only handle so many at once)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:46 am 

tried both and still the same result, it wasn't immediate tho, the net would work great for awhile but then after maybe 2 or 3 hours webpages would just timeout everytime.

the parameter that confused me on the modem was when i enabled port forwarding to the correct ports for BT, they had the tcp/udp parameter, port start and port end

but then they had a port map parameter, forwarding wouldn't work on the modem without something being in there, i just put the first port # in there and just like i said, BT worked great but the net would timeout on everything later, maybe if i understood what the port map thing is (i searched here and googled it) that may help

thanks again for your help
i'm going to reset the router to default and put the modem back where i started and try one thing at a time until i can get the right formula, hopefully this problem can get sorted

i will keep this thread updated with what i did to get it to work, if i can get it to work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:00 pm 

here's what happened

i have dsl (paradyne modem not sure what model)
and linksys wrt56g (i think)

it's essentially 2 routers
so i reset the router to defaults and then turned off the firewall on it
and did port forwarding on the modem
didn't change any settings within BT other than the ports

been working all day with no problems

hope my problem will help someone else in the future

thank you all for pointing me in the right direction to get this thing fixed

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]