the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: connection problem
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:52 am 

I have 2 computers connected by cables to the same router and had used Bittornado (stable) for 11/2 years with no problems. About a month ago, I began having connectability issues on both computers progressing from green to yellow-good speeds to yellow-terrible speeds to black over a 2 week period and no other problem with anything. Now, Bittornado once again connects on one computer but not on the other. Regardless of how many times I uninstall and reinstall it and port forward (various ports between 10000 - 50000), it won't connect. One site even tells me I have a connection problem and to fix it. On this computer, I have installed another client that has no problem connecting (green light) but I prefer Bittornado. Any clue as to what's happened? Thankyou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:19 am 

Tornado does not have DHT like most client do which is why it cannot connect. Why your other computer can connect? The torrent you download have an active tracker meaning if you were to use the same torrent on the other computer with tornado, you'll have the same problem.

What is DHT?
http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=772
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.p ... ndDatabase
http://wiki.bitcomet.com/help/DHT_Network_in_BitComet
http://wiki.bitcomet.com/help/Torrent_Maker

That's why tornado cannot connect to some torrent that the tracker goes down while other client are able to.

DHT capable client are:
Azureus
Original BT
Bitcomet
uT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:17 pm 

Thanks, I wasn't aware Tornado didn't have DHT. I'll check out those links, Also, I've since found some of my problems are caused by a Bandwidth drop on my line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:32 pm 

The torrent from thepiratebay.org does not work well with tornado because the tracker doesn't respond quickly like other tracker that takes only seconds.
The great lag is caused by overused of their bandwidth due to the amount of peers on it.
Are you familiar with this tracker? http://tracker.prq.to/announce
You can never connect with tornado in an instance, you'll have to wait 5-10min
that's a long time to wait.

only thepiratebay site can do scrape with this tracker because it is queued or it can cause its integrated into their website.
DHT allows users to connect to each other even without any tracker but is a little slower. The cost is a little bandwidth from each of us resulting in 5-10 percent slower download. That's why some do not like dht as it is bandwidth hog for everyone.
A small price to pay imho and well worth its weight in gold

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 am 

I am unable to access your link but the url doesn't look familar. I have used The PirateBay but mostly Isohunt and some private sites and found that green light connection always took 5-10 minutes and, once the problems started, up to 40 minutes and then not at all. Now, Bittornado works on one pc but not the other. After installing utorrent, things are fine again, This seems impossible and I am leaning towards router problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:28 pm 

Then you need to set port number that are unique for 2 pc
you can't use the same port number for both
like 65535 on one and 65535 on the other as well.

Your router doesn't it allow maybe you thought setting on one pc works on both?

They are specific for networked computer
Do notice your lan IP address are different on two computer
say 192.168.1.32, 192.168.1.33

I use something like 4000-4002 on 192.168.1.32
and 5000-5002 on 192.168.1.33

Most router use lan ip address to specify which computer you route port to.

2wire router uses computer name to route port such as your full computer name specified in the controlpanel/system/computer name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:17 pm 

My ip addresses on the two computers are as in your example and forwarding 3 ports to computer A will enable Bittornado to connect but forwarding 3 totally different ports to Computer B will not allow Bittornado to connect. I have forwarded 6 ports between 10000 - 50000, several times, to the separate addresses but the results are always the same. A can connect but B can't, where before, Bittornado connected on both for 11/2 years. Using a different client and forwarding its ports does allow a connection on A and B. Weird. I will try 1 address for both but don't have much hope of that. Something has happened so that Bittornado no longer connects on my main computer and I rarely use the one it does work for. It's not my ip address or my isp which is why I'm looking at my router but I don't understand other clients connecting fine.Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:41 am 

That is really unusual and you suspect your router maybe the problem? Try uninstalling tornado, reboot then install again.
Make sure that the port setting on tornado matches that of what you have set on your router.
Did you make some windows update like service pack 2?
I am using BT 3.13 some say they get fastest connect with this so who knows maybe you need experiment which version works best for you.
My other guesses is that you windows maybe corrupt due to a power interruption where you pc cut off while it is on.
Go to my computer, c:\ properties tools checknow and enable fix system errors which require a reboot to take effect.

11/2 years? You mean 1.5 years, you had me mistaken it as 11.5 years
I was like that's a long time how is this possible torrent didn't exist until early 2003 which changed the way we p2p today.

Nothing is more efficient , not even newsgroup which requires a fee everymonth and is limited on bandwidth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:41 pm 

Today, neither computer can connect fully and I am seeing mainly a yellow light but have seen green and red; all with the same speeds. I thought red meant there was no connection to any peers. I had a d/l of 60- 120 kB and an u/l of 30-50 kB during the red. Sorry, I meant 1.5 years. SP2 has been installed for, probably, a year with no problems but there have been several power outages which have affected both computers at some time. I'll do an error check. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:30 pm 

Just an update. It was my router and, strangely, only BT was affected. BitTornado is working great again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:20 pm 

sam71 wrote:
The torrent from thepiratebay.org does not work well with tornado because the tracker doesn't respond quickly like other tracker that takes only seconds.
The great lag is caused by overused of their bandwidth due to the amount of peers on it.
Are you familiar with this tracker? http://tracker.prq.to/announce
You can never connect with tornado in an instance, you'll have to wait 5-10min that's a long time to wait.

I use this tracker very often, it only connects fast if i connect with my browser to that URL, the moment that URL loads in my browser it also connects in my torrent

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]