the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: A few bug reports
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:04 am 

Ha, finally I'm able to join this forum, after months of trying.
Okay, in this time there were quite a few bug reports, that piled up, so here I go:

Something is wrong with the IP-Parameter!
I guess it's not a Bittornado problem, but a phyton one.
The situation is the following: When I try to enter something, it looks like the client does a DNS-Lookup (A) on this value. If it goes wrong, it reports an "Problem connecting to tracker", which is also wrong, since it connects perfectly to the tracker, just doesn't report an IP-Parameter. In the other case (the lookup went well), it reports the IP-address, it got from the lookup.
This behaviour is very annoying. IF someone enters something into the IP-field, this person expects the field to be sent to the tracker as it is! For example if I enter a DynDNS-domain, then I want the other peers to use this domainnamo to connect to.

The next few bugs are mainly IPv6 bugs:

The default value for --ipv6_enabled is 0, so there is no listening on IPv6 sockets. But if the .torrent-File contains an URL to an IPv6-Tracker, the client connects to it (via IPv6) and registers. The tracker notices the IPv6 address of the client (since it doesn't get any other address), however the client is only listening on the IPv4 version of the specified port and therefore will never recieve any incoming connections.
If there is an IPv6-only Announce-URL, the client should automatically assume ipv6_enabled is on, or give some sort of error message.

Then there is something else: The option ipv6_binds_v4 has the default value 1. However with this option, I always get the error message:
> socket.error: (98, 'Address already in use')
I'm using Linux, no idea how other OSes react.
My suggestion is changing the default-value for this option to 0.

Come to think of it: I think it would be better to change the default-value for ipv6_enabled to on. This would prevent the first bug from the start and there isn't really a drawback, since it work work anyways, unless both, client and tracker, are reachable via IPv6.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]