the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:19 am 

Hi,

I have many many friends receiving all kinds of infringement letters and it would be nice that tornado gets a feature to specify a proxy for the tracker communication only...

I will say it again to be clear, only the tracker communication with tornado going through a http proxy would be very very nice feature as we could use it with tor or any other anonymous network and since it would be only tracker communication it is a very very small load keeping everyone safe.

what you think guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:48 am 

You would get a yellow light then, and be firewalled, and there's nothing you can do about it. Too many people doing this WILL make downloading absurdly slow. Have you read about the bad stuff involved in being firewalled?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:13 pm 

michaeljoser wrote:
I will say it again to be clear, only the tracker communication with tornado going through a http proxy would be very very nice feature as we could use it with tor or any other anonymous network and since it would be only tracker communication it is a very very small load keeping everyone safe.

I think he means by this that the tracker would be behind a proxy, not the client. Therefore there is no yellow light, and the download speed for the clients would be fine.

I still think this won't work though, as the proxy would not allow new clients to initiate connections to the tracker through tor. Only the tracker could initiate connections through tor to the client, but that's not how BitTorrent works. At least that's my understanding of how tor works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:59 pm 

The tracker's IP address is the one advertised, hence the tracker uses the wrong IP address and no incoming connections arrive correctly. Hence yellow light.

And don't think a proxy is the answer to being anonymous. If you think using a proxy while letting the tracker know your real IP address for other users is a strategy that will "protect" you, then you're in for a nasty surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:06 am 

Well i gave an example as tor but what i will be using is a ssh-socks (ssh -D) that will be relayed through privoxy via socks4. Now i got it working with the original bittorrent client mainline but i would really prefer using tornado.

DeHackEd, the tracker doesnt need to know my real ip since it is only annoucing peers/seeds. as long as the client "tornado" knows that for the tracker com it goes through the proxy and for the transfer to peers/seeds it goes directly.

i only need to be hiding my ip from big companies monitoring torrents... i got a lot of infringement letter before. The way it works is that they take a torrent and get the list of peers and have the peers _upload_ to them then they send the letter to the owner of the ip. By using a proxy your real ip is not shown on the tracker thus you have a certain "protection". oh and i do get GREEN light going proxy-tracker

Anyway i still think this would be a great feature to have and this shouldnt be too hard to implement.

Cheers!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]