the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:22 pm 

So this may be a bug in it's self, because the client is def not ban/kicking ips that send bad data (because the pieces keep failing hash checks) unless if it's based on a diffrent system.

But I think I've worked out a reasonable explaination.

On certain torrents I keep on getting 600KB/s downloads but I keep on failing on ONE piece hash check.

So I looked up the source of the problem, Shadows although it claims to have kick/ban implination, it doesn't. That was the only seed I was downloading from (yes it was a SEED) sometimes it's a peer, but apparently it doesn't kick/ban so I have to manually go into my smoothwall and ban the IP manually.

Anyways. The reason for the crazy speeds is because there is a certain BT client (which will remain unmentioned) that was designed JUST for leeching. When it uploads it uploads all 0's or all 1's so it's REALLY REALLY compressable data, which makes uploads insanely fast even over slower connections (because of the added compressability)

Why someone has decided to make a client like that is beyond me, the sad thing is you can't even BAN the client because it's designed to mask as other clients like the offical BT and such...

Really this type of client hurts us all.

PS this is using Bittornado (latest ver) and also tried using Torrentstorm (latest ver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:49 am 
If someone sends you a piece with wrong data, you can't do anything at that time, because you don't know what data to expect. All what you have is the hash, so you have to download that piece and then you can check it.
Bad data means for example bad meta data, data which you know of or at least you know the type/format of that data.

Maybe it would be useful if the client bans peers which have sent x number of pieces with failed hash checks. I don't know if this has already been implemented.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:42 am 
You can ban the IP with Peerguardian so enter it manually in the list.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]