the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:54 am 

TheSHAD0W wrote:
BitTornado may fill file space sequentially, but it does NOT download the data sequentially. Check the "details" pane to see how much of each file has been received.

Hi,

I've been using various versions of tornado for a long time. I've been very happy with it. After learning how to use BT, I had no problems I couldn't solve on my own.

Now, I'm having an issue. (With version 0.3.17) Under "details" the files appear to be downloading normally. However, when I look up the files on the hard drive... tornado is placing the file segements into the wrong files. Here's an example(totally fictional, but it works for this purpose):

(under details)
file1.exe --- 10%
file2.bat --- 0%
file3.zip --- 38%
file4.rar --- 98%

(in the file folder)
file1.exe --- 100 MB
file2.bat --- 52 MB
file3.zip --- 0 MB
file4.rar --- 0 MB

In the above example, let's assume that each of the files should be 100 MB. That being the case, my comp should be showing file4.rar to be approx 98MB... but it doesn't. I shows it as zero MB. I can't figure out why this would happen. Some torrents work fine, but some aren't. My only guess is that I had 3 torrents going at once. Two of them, I'm having this problem with, and the other... seems to be going fine. On "The other" torrent, I used the "finish allocation" feature while the other 2 were running. So, I have to wonder if that somehow messed them up.

I'd like to blame the tracker, but other torrents from their tracker have worked fine.

I'm using Win XP, if that helps any. Also, the files that are showing as "full" on the HD (Let's say, "file1.exe" in the example) cannot be opened. So, I'm assuming the files are corrupted at this point. I assume I need to delete the files, and start all over, but I'm hoping I've just made an error somewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:08 am 

What part of "BitTornado may fill file space sequentially" don't you understand?

This file allocation method allows for quick start-up, reduces file fragmentation, and doesn't unnecessarily use up disk space. If you don't like it, Prefs/Advanced and change Disk allocation type.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:01 am 

So, if I'm understanding this right...

Tornado sometimes takes all the file pieces, and puts them in the wrong files to save disk space. Then, it takes all the pieces and puts them where they belong when it's finished?

If that's true. No. I didn't understand. I do now.

You sounded really frustrated answering my question. Does it get asked a lot? The file allocation default is clearly better for the program. However, it might be worth putting this information in the FAQ section. (Assuming a lot of people ask) As far as I can remember, you've never included a "readme" file. If you don't want to trouble yourself with it, I'd be happy to write it. I have a few tips for using torando. (Perhaps a short tutorial on how to open ports with WinXp/Vista?)

In anycase, I appreciate the response. :) I'll continue to use tornado for as long as you keep working on it. Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:20 pm 

deohge wrote:
Tornado sometimes takes all the file pieces, and puts them in the wrong files to save disk space.

As said, it's not just for disk space, but also allows for quick start-up (creating empty files instead of full files) and reduces file fragmentation (files grow sequentially, with file 1 being filled completely before file 2 starts to fill).

deohge wrote:
Then, it takes all the pieces and puts them where they belong when it's finished?

As the download progresses pieces are moved into their correct location. The first piece downloaded will be put in piece 0's slot. Later when piece 0 is downloaded it will go in its proper slot, and the data there will be moved somewhere else. It doesn't all happen at the end.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]