the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bug Report
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:48 am 

BitTorrent T-0.3.17 (BitTornado)
Python version: 2.5.1c1 (release25-maint, Apr 12 2007, 21:00:25)
[GCC 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)]
wxWindows version: 2.6.3.2
Allocation method: normal

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/btdownloadgui.py", line 930, in details
fileList.SetStringItem(x, 0, path)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_controls.py", line 4625, in SetStringItem
return _controls_.ListCtrl_SetStringItem(*args, **kwargs)
File "encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 68-70: invalid data

Post subject: Re: Bug Report
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:50 am 

YvesDL wrote:
BitTorrent T-0.3.17 (BitTornado)
Python version: 2.5.1c1 (release25-maint, Apr 12 2007, 21:00:25)
[GCC 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)]
wxWindows version: 2.6.3.2

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.6-gtk2-unicode/wx/_controls.py", line 4625, in SetStringItem
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 68-70: invalid data

Happened when hitting the Details link (button) in the gui. Reproduced twice. Tracker: quebectorrent.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:20 pm 

YvesDL wrote:

This is probably due to the .torrent file containing utf8 encoded info. BitTornado has no support for encodings, so you will have to use a different bittorrent client to download this torrent.

I'm curious if there are any plans to implement encodings in BitTornado, or whether there is something holding this back? I've looked at the code, and it seems like using unicode strings in a few places should be all that's required (since wxgtk 2.6 supports unicode). I'd be willing to make a patch containing those changes if that's all that's needed.

I suspect that keeping support for old python versions is what's holding this back, is that true? If so, perhaps it's time to consider dropping that support in favor of better compliance with the bittorrent protocol (which specifies utf8 encodings). Also, I believe python 3.0 (currently in alpha, due out in a year) will use only unicode strings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:21 pm 

Basically it's trying to display a filename which is encoded in utf-8 (supposedly) but has invalid utf-8 characters in the name. Hence the error.

It's not an error in BitTornado that the torrent has a badly formed name. It is an error if this accident breaks bittornado's operation and makes it jam up/crach. You didn't say if it did.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:44 pm 

steveholt wrote:
I'm curious if there are any plans to implement encodings in BitTornado, or whether there is something holding this back? I've looked at the code, and it seems like using unicode strings in a few places should be all that's required (since wxgtk 2.6 supports unicode). I'd be willing to make a patch containing those changes if that's all that's needed.
Yes please. for god's sake, please. if shad0w won't, someone please do it.

forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=7110
these changes will get unicode filenames and folders working but it will give an error when try to display non US unicode chars in the gui itself on the details page. unicode chars still display as ascii garbage in the torrent title.

getting unicode torrents working 100% in bittornado will allow me to once and for all kill utorrent from my system. heres hoping.

this is the error I get ehen viewing the detais page with japanese or other non US unicode file names when those changes in that thread are used. without those unicode changes theres no error but they display as ascii garbage :( (also, you need to switch to the unicode wxPython build instead of ansi as usual for bittornado, iirc the OPs error is caused by compiling bittornado with the unicode wxPython instead of ansi))

BitTorrent T-0.3.18 (BitTornado)
Python version: 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
wxWindows version: 2.6.3.3

File "btdownloadgui.py", line 930, in details
File "wx\_controls.pyc", line 4637, in SetStringItem
File "encodings\cp1252.pyc", line 15, in decode
UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x90 in position 5: character maps to <undefined>

Also, what are the required packages/method of compiling bittornado on windows?
I've tried compiling T-0.3.18 without any changes and auto resume just won't work. the T-0.3.18 install package on the site works fine.

the packages I used are
python-2.5.1.msi
wxPython2.6-win32-ansi-2.6.3.3-py25.exe
pywin32-210.win32-py2.5.exe
py2exe-0.6.6.win32-py2.5.exe
pycrypto-2.0.1.win32-py2.5.exe

and compiled with "python winsetup.py py2exe"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]