the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:17 pm 
My question is whether the BT client arranges all the pieces of the download in the right order progressively. For example, if 98 % of a torrent has been downloaded, does the remaining 2% have to be downloaded before the sequence of the pieces are correctly allocated?

If the sequence of the pieces are not correctly allocated until 100% of the download is completed, can I request a feature of the Shadow client such that the allocation into the correct sequence can be done before the download reaches 100%

Reason is obviously because if someone downloads 98% and then run out of seeders, the file can still be used, especially if it is a movie file. There are softwares that will "correct" an incomplete download so that it can still be watched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:14 am 
I've used this feature plenty of times. It's especially useful if it is a multi-file Torrent and you have most of the file. You can get 100% on a lot of the files.

Click on the blue text that says Advanced then click on the Finish Allocation button. There you go! Multi-file torrents also have a Finish Allocation button in the [color=blue]Details[color] section.

BT doesn't do this automatically to save Hard Drive space as you are downloading. (A feature I'm very glad of after downloading a 60 GB Torrent on a 70 GB drive) Once you Allocate the bytes the file will take up the same KB as if it was completed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 3:50 pm 
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I know that the Allocation button will allocate all the space on the hard drive. I was just not sure that it allocated the pieces in the correct order as well.

Can someone confirm that it allocates the space and also the order of the pieces??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:07 pm 

Confirmed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:57 pm 
I have just allocate all the space in an incomplete torrent. But the movie still do not appear to be in the correct order? Reason I can tell is because I know the movie that I am trying to download

Anything else I can try?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:46 pm 

When it moves out data to its proper place, it doesn't clear the original spots (that'd eat a lot of disk bandwidth), so you may have garbage scattered throughout the video. I don't recommend you try viewing it until it's finished downloading with a single-file torrent, or until it's marked "done" in a multi-file torrent.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:04 pm 
Hi,

I'm trying to read files as they are completely downloaded in the midst of a multi-file torrent. From reading this forum, README-experimental, and btdownloadgui.py I see in the GUI there's something called "Background Allocation" (as an "allocation" button somewhere).

1) Is there a way to start this BG alloc process in the curses.py or headless.py versions?

2) If I stop the curses.py download and start the GUI one on the same directory, will it resume the download (I guess so, but it never hurts to ask)?

On another note, thanks for the software, it's working great for me so far. Nice job, Shadow!

Thanks in advance,

Kathrrak

Post subject: Quick note
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:40 pm 
I see now what Finish Allocation does, and that it requires the final download size.

Picture this: a 500MB-free HD where a 1GB download is being downloaded to. What I was looking for was a way to incrementally "finish allocation" and move each file in the multi-file download as it was done.

I guess that feature just isn't available right now, then.

Thanks,

Kathrrak

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:56 pm 

Kathrrak, --alloc_type background

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:16 pm 
TheSHAD0W wrote:
Kathrrak, --alloc_type background

Great! So that will actually alloc as each file is finished? Thanks!

My experiments didn't show that, but as I could only find out later (once I ran the GUI version), I had no complete partial files. Next time I know.

Cheers,

K.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]