the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 pm 

I have dynamic IP which reduces my monthly cost with my ISP. How do I set up port forwarding with a Linksys WRT54GS router with this scheme? Everything I am reading says you need to have static IP since you enter that address into the routers data along with the appropriate port numbers. Which by the way vary depending on the source I look at. Most sources say in the 8000 range. Portforward.com says 10000 to 10010. Who is correct? Thanks for the help.
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:45 am 

They're referring to your machine's connection to your router. The router creates separate network segments, and will manage a dynamic IP with your ISP while allowing your computer to have a static IP. The static IP is useful because it allows your router to always forward ports to the same spot.

For ports, I recommend you pick a block of 10 ports somewhere between 10000 and 60000. BitTorrent is flexible with regards to port assignments, so you can basically pick whatever range you like. But the more obscure the numbers, the less likely you'll interfere with other communications. >10000 is not normally assigned, so 10000-10010 will work, but IMO is not ideal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:43 am 

The picture isnt working, but i would assume that they are connected something like this:

Internet -> Router 1 -> Router 2-> DVR

If this is correct, all that you need to do in theory is forward the necessary port to Router 2s ip in Router 1s firmware, and that same port to the DVRs ip in Router 2s firmware.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]