the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:06 pm 

First, if I'm asking a question that has been asked before I apologize. I searched a good amount and could not find the help I am looking for. Second, I'm not sure if this post belongs in the 'major problems' thread. If it does not please move it to its appropriate place.

I have a linux box with two ethernet connections running into it. One connection is for bit torrent (eth1) and another for voip (eth0). Not only that but the eth0 internet connection is far slower than eth1 to a point that using anything outside of a pbx is pointless. Also, both eth1 and eth0 are dynamic IPs. There is no NAT but eth1's IP changes approx every 24 hours.

How can I set it up properly were ALL bit torrent traffic is exclusively eth1? This means tracker communications, incoming and outcoming peer connections... the whole 9 yards.

I read that --bind is only incoming and --ip is the address to tell the trackers which IP Im using. However, it does not use that IP to connect to the tracker. Is this information correct?

If this information is correct than currently without editing code BitTornado can not 100% bind all bit torrent communication to an interface? This leads me to think of using IP tables instead to forward bit torrent communication properly. I believe this can be done by forwarding ports 80 and 443 to eth1 which is the ports trackers use so the trackers will know of my IP as eth1's IP. From there the trackers will tell all peers to connect via my eth1 interface and I can then forward the listening ports to eth1 as well the same way. However, I am somewhat inexperience when it comes to iptables. I'm not sure how to control outgoing communication aka when I'm the peer and I'm trying to connect to another peer it will push out via eth0.

Beyond all my crazy speculation it leads me to two main questions: 1) Can I set BitTornado to exclusively use one IP (of the two) for EVERYTHING? and if not is the best alt solution using iptables? 2) If I end up using iptables then how can I forward all outgoing BitTornado communication properly without accidentally forwarding the other services on the box like VoIP?

Thank you for any and all help!,
Danielle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:22 pm 

BitTornado currently uses a http library for tracker communications, and the library (without modifications) has no facility for binding an interface. You can manually patch the Python package "httplib" to bind a specific port. I've been working on a rawserver-based http library to solve this problem and others, but it isn't finished.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:31 pm 

Thank you. I'm glad someone is doing something or anything regarding this issue really.

I'm still undecided what I'm going to do. I was planning on using torrentflux and bitTornado under it but the more I use torrent flux (a week now) the more I dislike it. I probably will write a bunch of scripts that pipe info between different programs to do the type of automated setup I want.

The setup I want to achieve is rss to auto download torrents and http downloads (like podcasts), when torrents are finished downloading they are auto extracted and the extracted content is placed to the proper directory. From there it will link to a media center to view and manage the content. If the hard drive fills up to much the seeded content will automatically be deleted accordingly based on a set of rules. I think I can use almost any headless bit torrent client for this project and just write a couple of simple shell scripts.

I wish you luck on what you're trying to do.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]