the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:51 am 
Hello,
I'm unable to get UPnP to work. Tried with these configurations:
- NAT with Kerio WinRoute Firewall 5 properly configured and running on Windows 2003 Standard Server on another machine in my LAN;
- NAT with Siemens SpeedStream 5200 ADSL router.
Both support UPnP and both were set to log UPnP requests, but the logs didn't show any UPnP requests.
Tested running btdownloadgui.exe and btdownloadgui.py with Python and wxpython, with upnp_nat_access set to 1 in config.gui.ini and as a command line parameter.
It's not a problem on my end since UPnP 0.8.5b works OK, and the logs show its UPnP requests. It'd be really nice if BitTornado could tell if the UPnP assignment was sucessfull or not, like UPnP 0.8.5b does.
Anyone who has BitTornado's UPnP working OK, please post here any detail that could help. Also, if you know any other programs (not necessarily BT related) that I could use for testing UPnP functionality, please post them here.
If there's something else I could do to help, please ask, I'd be glad to do so.
See ya...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:54 pm 

Yeah, it has some problems. Don't expect a fix in this next release though. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:50 pm 
Got mine working :) Go to services in the control panel, and set universial plug and play to automatic and start it if it isn't started already. I had to do that to make it work with my router. If yours is already started then I dunno :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:27 pm 

According to Mr. Gibson UPnP is bad....

http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

I have the UPnP service disabled for security reasons and don't really find this feature usefull.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:36 pm 
guest wrote:
Got mine working :) Go to services in the control panel, and set universial plug and play to automatic and start it if it isn't started already. I had to do that to make it work with my router. If yours is already started then I dunno :/

Yes, I knew that and did check to ensure it was running. As I said above, UPnP 0.8.5b (which also uses this service) works fine. I just don't know if TheSHAD0W wrote his UPnP activation code from scratch or if he's using OS-dependant tools...
By the way, how do you know yours is really working?

powder wrote:
According to Mr. Gibson UPnP is bad....

http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm

I have the UPnP service disabled for security reasons and don't really find this feature usefull.

Yes, it _was_ bad when they found that bug, but it's been long patched and isn't really a concern, especially on NAT environments where UPnP is mostly used. Gibson said quite a few contradictory things on other topics that makes me think twice about anything he says, and, in case you didn't notice, he's very anti-M$, and since UPnP was initially designed/pushed by M$... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:02 pm 
i would also like to know how do you know if upnp is succesful on bt =P

i enabled upnp from sevices.msc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:31 am 

The author of U-0.8.5b has graciously released his UPnP pinholing code under the MIT license, which means I can now incorporate it into my system. It does do things differently, which means hopefully it should work on PPPoE's system. It is, however, MUCH slower than the system I devised, which means I hesitate to enable it by default. I'll probably add it in, but as an alternate method.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]