the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:42 am 
Hi,

I am having the wierdest of problems while using bittorrent of any sort, however since I now use bittornado I thought I would ask here. I have several machines on my home network and I have one machine for the sole purpose of uploading/downloading. Well while I am using bittorrent on that machine and playing BF1942 or Planetside on my gaming machines I have noticed, that every few seconds everything pauses and then resumes, its been driving me nuts and I cant figure out whats going on. I have hoped updating my bittorrent software would rid me of this problem but its been about 6 updates and I am still plagued with this problem. Has anyone else experienced lag in online games also, and if so, how did you solve this problem.

Sejin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 5:29 am 
Easiest solution? Don't play online while downloading (or vice-versa).
BitTorrent is designed to use your bandwidth (both up/down) to its fullest capacity, so lag on online games, which heavily rely on network response time, is to be expected. It may alleviate your problem if you cap both up/down speeds to about half of your line's speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:56 am 
I have tested your theory, however even if I cap my upload to 3kb/s and am only downloading at about 20kb/s myself I still get the same amount of lag.

Sejin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 1:28 pm 
My ghetto solution, change the process priority to below normal while gaming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:44 pm 

Quote:
Well while I am using bittorrent on that machine and playing BF1942 or Planetside on my gaming machines I have noticed

read it 2 pc's setting the base priority not change a thing it ant on the same pc

next queston what internet are you useing
cable uk,ADSL uk, or what ever your ISP calls your internet and what is your down and up speed

what type of router are you useing

i can happy upload at slow/DSL setting (13 up /4 users) and have a LOW ping in games(mite be coes of me 1024/256)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:12 pm 
I am on Shaw Highspeed cable internet in Canada. My download/upload rates are 3.5mbit download max/0.6mbit upload. For my router I am using a 4port linksys router thats a couple years old.

Thanks for all the help so far guys,

Sejin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 7:46 am 
even if you think you have limited your upload speed with BT it can always peak from time to time causing large consumption of upload speed, use netlimiter to really cust down ur upload speed

its a good app an will keep it a level low for you, try it out

your d/l speeds will drop big time (as they should cause ur not uploading so much) but it saves having to close the client and starting up again after ya finish gaming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:57 am 
If these were random attacks of lag I would have to agree, however they are almost all equally apart timewise, and the ones I dont notice and probely when I am not moving around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:08 pm 
I have this problem too. It's our isp. I'm on rogers in canada, and uploading causes me to lag out in just about anything I do. It's something they do, probably on purpose. Theres no fix, so I usually end up pausing whatever I'm downloading if I want to play games. sucks i know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:19 am 

sollution: get a gaming line and a dl line

Post subject: T-0.3.1
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:57 pm 

Drakuun wrote:
sollution: get a gaming line and a dl line

Great solution if you have the money to spend.

I also notice this same issue, but not while playing online games. (Well, I probably do have this same issue, but I don't play online games as often, so I probably just haven't seen it yet). What I do notice, however, is that any remote admin program I run will lose connection (or pause completely) when I download anything. (T-0.3.1).

I use Telus 2.5M/.75M connection, and I by no means max it out. (I've tried limiting my torrents to only running one, and having a low download/upload speed, but it still does it).

Is this a known/fixable issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 2:54 am 

i didn't have euh....much problems playing ffxi with 3 torrents running at about 100-200k each with a cap of 3k up
sure i noticed but that's about it, sometimes a lil pike that nearly got my party killed T_T
1-2 torrents are hardly noticable to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 7:35 am 

Disabling disk caching might help a little, though it probably won't solve the problem. BitTorrent tends to do some heavy disk access, and that's probably choking your DMA channel.

I'll consider writing a more friendly method of hash-checking, but frankly, you really oughtn't be running BT along with your game.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]