the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:48 pm 

On several (not all, about 80%) of my recent downloads, I have been having problems. These problems began only after using the Shadow's client. A file will get into the 98.0% to 99.9% range, then the following error will occur:

ERROR (Time of Error) -
piece ### has failed hash check, re-downloading it

Then it will inifinitely loop in circles, redownloading the same piece over and over. I have tried several different clients (Original, ABC, Azureus, Shadow) but none of them seem to change. I also have tried different torrent from different trackers. Same thing happens. Any idea as to what is going on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:37 am 

This can be caused by one of two things:

(1) A bad peer in the swarm sending out bad data at a high bitrate. It can be difficult to determine automatically which peer this is and ban it, and unfortunately I don't have the facility to ban it manually.

(2) Some Cable/DSL routers have a "game mode" that can consistently corrupt data transfers. You'll download it again and again with the same bad results. Make sure your router's "game mode" is turned off. Try plugging your computer directly into the uplink and see if that helps the matter. I've heard some reports about routers with bugs that have the same effect, but nothing confirmed.

Please let me know if the problem was your router.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:50 pm 

:D I'll be sure to try that once I get home, I'm at school now in the library. >_>

Though my brothers will be exceptionally pissed once they find out their internet is gone. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:59 pm 

Thanks, you confirm what I'd just about figured out. My problem torrent has 10 seeds and 50 others almost all stuck at 98.4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 10:34 am 

Moved from another thread:

Whammy wrote:
Your suggestion you gave me to hook directly into WAN worked! My torrent finally finished. I love you. :D

Anyway, thanks again. :wink:

Gee, thanks. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:33 pm 
so if its a bad peer, theoretically you could just stop the transfer and retry it later and hope that particular peer isnt on anymore... right?

i just downloaded more than 8 gigs only to have this happen to me at 99.9% :/ i dont want to have to delete all of it because of someone with a problem with the file

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]