the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:04 am 

After getting a lot of 11055 type errors in my connection, making it impossible even to browse the web, I made a:

netstat -an

and saw a lot of connections with a certain IP address:6969

and as I suspected, that IP address turned out to be the tracker's.

After closing BT, those open connection were still there (only the connections with peers and seeds did disappear), so I rebooted and started making some tests.

This happened with version 5.8.11, so I tested the newest BitTornado 0.0.1 and still happened, then I tried good old 5.8.7, that I've used for the longest time without any problem but the bug was still there. Open connections with the tracker accumulate as time passes, each one using a different port on my side, until you close the program or the maximum number of allowed connections is reached. When that happens, the number of peers & seeds usually starts to decrease, because sometimes a connection is closed and (I guess) the available connection is taken by a fake one.

After closing the program, the connections are left open, but that's because, as stated in this topic:
http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?t=81
the closing wasn't correct, and killing the dead btdownloadgui.exe, those connections are finally closed.

This problem only seems to happen with certain torrents/trackers, because I'm downloading other files now and it isn't happening. But I've been observing the degrading behaviour (reaching max number of peer connections, then that number slowly coming down and not recovering) for a while now, and I suspect it's related to this bug.

In case it's useful to fix the problem, I'm using Windows 98SE and I'm firewalled by my ADSL router, but I've opened port 6881 and therefore can get the green light (as long as I use just a torrent at a time). I have the maximum number of connections limited to 20 and the problematic torrent tested was this one:

http://a.scarywater.net/aone/[AonE_N!]_Hunter_x_Hunter_GI_FINAL_OVA_-_Ep_02_[112097E5].avi.torrent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:27 am 
I am pretty sure the client stays open for a little while as it tries to tell the tracker that you stopped downloading. The torrents that it takes the longest to close on are ones with very slow or non-responsive trackers. I am sure you can verify this by clicking "details" on one of the ones that takes a while to close then visiting the tracker URL yourself and seeing how long it takes to respond in your web browser. The time it takes to respond to your web browser is going to be almost equal to the time it takes shadow's client to exit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:29 am 

I'll check the code, see if I can explicity try to close such connections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:42 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
I am pretty sure the client stays open for a little while as it tries to tell the tracker that you stopped downloading. The torrents that it takes the longest to close on are ones with very slow or non-responsive trackers. I am sure you can verify this by clicking "details" on one of the ones that takes a while to close then visiting the tracker URL yourself and seeing how long it takes to respond in your web browser. The time it takes to respond to your web browser is going to be almost equal to the time it takes shadow's client to exit.

Why then is it always port 6969?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]