the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Background Traffic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:19 pm 
i got a question about the background traffic of BitTornado or bittorrent in general. especially how much upload is caused by download.

i'm new to this program so i tried the recommended 80% as an upload limit but this turned out to be a bad choice and i maxed out at about 30 kB/s. when i reduced the upload the download went up - looks like sharing more bandwith is being punished :wink: here some figures about what i tried:
upload kB/s / upload % / download kB/s
12 / 75% / 30
10 / 63% / 60
8 / 50% / 85
6 / 37% / 100
my connection 600kByte/16kByte (i know very bad for filesharing)

From this table it looks to me like download is generating 10% upload which seems a lot to me. So my question: Is this extra upload generated by BT itself (the protocol) or is it caused by something else (cablemodem,...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:24 am 

You have an extremely low upload pipe, so it will take much less traffic to saturate it. Remember that aside from the control connections and the bandwidth necessary for TCP to properly function (acks and nacks), any other traffic on the line (say, browsing websites) is also going to need to send traffic up the pipe. Since your upload pipe is small, other traffic will have a disproportionate effect on your session.

I'd stick with 8-10kb/s upload, and just stay on for a very long time seeding so as not to be a leech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:33 am 
when i made the table i had very low traffic caused by other apps, <1kB (no webbrowsing) so the download can be determined as a major cause for upload.

so i guess i'll choose 6-10kB depending on the urgency of the download but leave BT open for a long time after the download - especially on torrents with few seeds to keep it alive.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]