the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: sys tray bug
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:30 pm 
if windows explorer crashes while the client is minimized to the system tray the icon disapears and will not come back.. the only way to shut it down is by ending the task from task manager.

Running windows xp sp1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:23 am 
but this is the case with many programs - so i think it is not the fault of bt. btw how often does your explorer crash? didn't happen to me in a looong time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:27 am 
Explorer seems to crash more regularily when I'm BitTorrenting. Anyway as a work around to losing touch with the clients you can use PS Tray Factory (http://www.pssoftlab.com/), it will hold on to the icons that were in the system tray if explorer crashes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:17 am 

Recent versions of wxPython have incorporated a fix for this problem, but until a new version goes mainline, you folks are just going to have to suffer. I've done a lot of research on the problem and discovered there's just no easy way to receive the needed signal from the OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:34 pm 
I have no idea what you can do with wxPython, i.e. Windows message handling - but the common solution to the problem is something like:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_int/shell_int_programming/taskbar.asp

And look in the section, under the heading, "Taskbar Creation Notification".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:57 pm 

As I said, there's no simple way to intercept the "TaskbarCreated" message without patching and rebuilding the Windows GUI library, and that's something I can't do. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:28 am 
This may be far fetched, but would it be an idea to assign some kind of global hotkey that shows all dtdownloadgui windows? That would circumvent the need to click the icon in the systemtray. Think something exotic like ctrl-shift-alt-f12 or maybe something customizable. Minimizing the client again won't make the icon show (I think), but at least you have a way of closing the client in a normal fashion, instead of having to kill the process.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]