the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:16 am 

Recently (started 2 days ago) when I download a torrent my system and the programs running became unresponsive. Cntl Alt Del doesn't bring up the taskmanger, but the mouse cursor still move. I tried lowering my connections from 60 to 40 didn't help. If I just download 1 torrent its fine for about an hour, when I dl more than one torrent the system becomes unresponsive in minutes. I thought perhaps its was a caused by a virus, nortan anti-virus and trojanhunter says the systems clean. No other programs. I'm using Bittorando 0.3.1, Zone Alarm, Win Xp. I've used the previous versions of Bittorando and they functioned fine. Is this a common problem? Is the unresponsiveness coming from somewhere else, another program conflicting with BT?

Thank You

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:48 am 
The same happened to me today, i only could use the mouse to close bt3.1
Yesterday i installed zonealarm 5.0.590.015

System is winxp home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:19 am 
I had the same happen to me, Bittornado was just being a CPU, this was while i was throttling the download speed so I could Surf as well as downloading. Took off the throttling and the system returned to normal. Although I have used the throttle since and it has not repeated on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:05 pm 
I have had the same problem since upgrading ZoneAlarm to 5.0.590.015 yesterday.

I'm using the 0.1.4 release of BitTornado which has been completely stable until now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:22 pm 
i too installed the new 3.1 experimental and zonealarm 5 today and am having the problem too. i'm doing some experimenting with the anti-virus setting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:24 pm 
I also upgraded my zonealarm to 5.0.590.015 before being hit by extreme unresponsiveness the first time. Looks like there might be a connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:44 pm 
ok well turning off the built-in anti-virus in ZA 5 did NOT help, but i would wager that everyone having the problem does have the new ZA. weird thing tho in task manager it does not show 100% usage for BT onlyy 99% for system idle proccess but the gui is obviously being bogged down by something. the new ZA is having problems with other things ie. ICS clients not having access to http while host is running the new ZA 5. i already fixxed that issue and posted the fix for that on the ZA forums. now i'm hopin to find a fix for this issue too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 2:59 pm 
I'm a bit confused. It seems very likely that it's BT that triggers the attacks. I just had one, but managed to shut down all BT clients, and it stopped. However, it's not really a freeze... more like very long hickups.

When explorer actually responds, hovering over the task manager taskbar icon gives 5-10% supposed CPU load, and having task manager up says the same. Nothing big on ram or kernel or network load either. The only thing indicating something's wrong is that all explorer.exe windows register as 'not responding'.

*goes to read ZA forums*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:04 pm 
already looked through ZA forums and there are others there having problems as well.

one thing i notice while the slowdown occers is that when i close BT by hitting the cancel button is i go to task manager and look in proccesses tab it still shows BT loaded and after awhile they slowly end (sometimes). but no cpu usage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 3:06 pm 
that is my post up there BTW ^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 6:09 pm 
I can guarantee you this problem is directly because of ZA 5.0. Their forums are filled with people having freezes with all types of programs. You should uninstall ZA 5.0 and downgrade to 4.x and wait for ZA to fix it. ZA has had problems like this in the past with p2p so it's no surprise really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:09 pm 
i fixed it

http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php?p=3828#3828

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:27 pm 
i spoke too soon sorry :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:56 pm 
if i may be so bold as to make a suggestion ecery1 refer to the other thread regarding this problem from now on:

http://forums.degreez.net/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:05 am 
well aparenlty this issue is different than the one over there

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next