the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: torrent wars
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:50 pm 

It's been quite a while since I came up with the idea for super-seeding a torrent, and it's been fairly successful. Recently, however, a certain client called BitComet ( http://www.bitcomet.com/ , feel free to leave hate mail) has included features designed to game super-seed and sap bandwidth from what might be the only seed in a torrent. This is harmful to many BitTorrent communities which have publishers with limited bandwidth.

I recently modified my client to try and prevent BitComet-running peers from gaming the super-seed method, but they have recently apparently begun to perform cooperative gaming, connecting several clients together in order to perform trust-metric attacks against my admittedly weak system. This must end.

I have devised a new tactic for super-seed which I plan to incorporate into the next release, which will not only improve super-seed's efficiency, but will also include a new trust metric that should be able to prevent BitComet from doing much damage. There are other security measures I will be taking that unfortunately may affect the downloads of innocent peers and might cause problems if super-seed is run on a torrent with a limited number of peers, but unfortunately in order to conserve bandwidth I don't have another option.

Since BitComet has proven itself to be a harmful codebase, and since they have forced me to take steps I'd rather not have, I will also be banning connections from that client to my own client and tracker codebases. Should the BitComet developers decide to remove the exploitation code from their client, I will reconsider this decision.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]