the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Java and C++
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:53 am 
Java and C++ have their advantages
C++ is time tested, stable and fast, plus has distro's for every platform out there. No matter what flavour you use as long as you link the proper libs and code correctly (which is much harder than other languages due to the low-level features.) it'll run stable and fast, but will take some more time to develop. It's resource footprint is much smaller than Java.
Java is much slower, tends to stall unexpectedly no matter what run-time you use...it's faster to develop apps in due to the OOP structure and the code once...run everywhere semantic. Everything is an object in Java...making it easy to share code with others. This also adds to the performance issues. Anyone who's done any heavy development in C++ has seen the difference in performance in a block of procedural code and a class written to do the same thing.
Assembly anyone? :D

Post subject: REBOL
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:02 am 
LOL you people might try looking at rebol for a REALLY small
laguage that works on all major and several obscure os.

http://www.rebol.com/

the self contained multicasting file shareing app might be rather nice
in this rebol....................

Post subject: rebol
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:14 am 
some more links with some muticast info commands
http://www.google.com/custom?q=multicas ... BREBOL.net

http://www.rebol.com/docs/core25.html

Get-modes - Function Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary:
Returns mode settings for a port.

Usage:
get-modes target modes

Arguments:
target - The target argument. (must be: file url block port)

modes - The modes argument. (must be: word block)

Description:
This function returns a block of special modes for file and network ports. GET-MODES takes a port and a block of modes that are being requested. It returns a block of mode names and their values (which can in turn be passed back to SET-MODES).

port: open/binary %test-file
probe get-modes port [direct binary]
[direct: false binary: true]

The example above shows that the port is opened for binary access but not for direct access.

A shortcut to query a single mode is to specify a single mode word as the argument:

probe get-modes port 'binary
true

In this case GET-MODES only returns the value directly, rather than a block.

Another form of GET-MODES takes a name-value block that is of the same format as SET-MODES.

probe get-modes port [direct: none binary: none]
[direct: false binary: true]

Here the values specified are ignored.

GET-MODES supports a few special modes which return a list of applicable modes for a port. They are: file-modes, copy-modes, network-modes, and port-modes. If any of these modes are specified in a GET-MODES request then the response contains a block of matching modes which are available on the current operating system (and it may vary between systems).

GET-MODES and SET-MODES functions have been added for file and network ports. Two new port actions are introduced:
get-modes Return current modes for an open port.
set-modes Change modes for an open port.

The get-modes function has the following syntax:

get-modes: native [
{Return mode settings for a port}
target [file! url! block! port!]
modes [word! block!]
]
The block being passed in consists of words defining which modes should be queried. Each word corresponds to one mode. get-modes returns a block which contains pairs of mode names and current mode settings.
Example:

>> get-modes someport [direct binary]
== [direct: true binary: false]
indicating that someport is opened in direct and non-binary (text) mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 7:26 am 
I hate Java. I can see why they teach Computer Science classes using Java, but I don't see real-life use of Java. Perhaps a few web-based software, but nothing more. C++ is the standard, and will be for a long time. C# is basically... VisualBasic with a C++ twist. Anyway, it's not cross-platform compatible, along with the whole .NET framework.

Post subject: A note on java...
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:42 am 
A note on java that you can find in almost all M$ EULA...

Quote:
Note on Java Support. The Software may contain support for programs written in Java. Java technology is not fault tolerant and is not designed, manufactured, or intended for use or resale as online control equipment in hazardous environments requiring fail-safe performance, such as in the operation of nuclear facilities, aircraft navigation or communications systems, air traffic control, direct life support machines, or weapons systems, in which the failure of Java technology could lead directly to death, personal injury, or severe physical or environmental damage. Sun Microsystems, Inc. has contractually obligated Microsoft to make this disclaimer.

this is quite fun for people saying that java is the future :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:36 pm 
Psycho wrote:
Yeah java is a dick. Slows down your whole comp no matter how good it is and screws with your internet too. If this thing is as reliable as Bit Tornado then I'll be sure to use it.

do you have any clue as to what this thread is about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:58 am 

the only reason for insecurity and instability of Java-Programs is copypasta and and scriptkiddie-code. I recently saw some VERY complex algorhythms in java and noticed _NO_ drawbacks, compared to similar code in c, c++ etc. And there was a reason for that: it was programmed by a professional, not 16-year-old-wannabes :wink:.

OOP has some serious advantages, it defines the new world of rapid development environments and thus WILL be the concept of future technologies. Java truly is the first (but not the last!!) step into this direction, so demonizing the whole language is just childish and not objectively. I dont like Java too, but i need it for my science class AND the "childhood diseases" of Java aren´t that bad after all ... i´d rather solve problems which are caused by my own "not-knowledge" or dumbness than fighting the confusing structures of ancient languages.

By the way: if you want the same performance under java, you´ll need to reassemble your whole code, OOP implys its own, new structure
Hint: mixing non-objects with objects results in emulation / conversion :wink:

Quote:
Since when is an interpreted language faster than a native machine language compiled executable?

wellwell, we got an 1337-h4xx0r here, eh?
Please show me difference between these two processes:

C,C++ - Sourcecode :arrow: Compiler :arrow: compressed, executable Code :arrow: Assembler-Code :arrow: 00110100010...

Java - Sourcecode :arrow: Compiler :arrow: compressed, executable Code :arrow: Assembler-Code :arrow: 00110100010...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2