the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Ban/kick
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:22 pm 
I was looking at the list of peers in the advanced screen and noticed that 3 were BANNED and 1 was KICKED. I have never noticed my client kicking or banning anyone before, and I always check my advanced page. What is the criteria for being kicked or banned? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:35 pm 

It could be that you set ban on bad hashcheck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:06 am 

The client will kick and ban peers if they send bad data. Currently, a peer is given one free chance, then it will be kicked, then it will be banned. This is important because with the current protocol a bad peer can spoil more data than it uploads.

Note that the kick/ban function is automatically limited if there are only a few peers connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:25 pm 
i notice someone with 2 same ip keep sending me bad data over and over. so my file get stuck at 75 percent for half an hour when I had it disabled!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:43 am 

TheShad0w, I've heard about some clients that purposely send some bad data at the start so that they DO get banned so they don't have to upload to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:55 am 
I would think that if a client is banned/kicked, he would be unable to download from you too. If he get banned/kicked by too many clients, chances are he will never be able to complete the file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:37 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I would think that if a client is banned/kicked, he would be unable to download from you too. If he get banned/kicked by too many clients, chances are he will never be able to complete the file.

You have to consider that bittorrent, right now, can only tell if a chunk is bad after it receives a full piece. The piece size is shown when you click "details" in bittornado and that is the smallest verifiable piece size. A full piece can be broken down into several sub-pieces which allows that piece to be retrieved from several hosts at once. The bad peer could send several bad sub-pieces and just because it is sending them at a good rate it would get some good sub-pieces from the peers it is sending the bad sub-pieces to. It is only after it sends a whole verifiable piece which is when it would be noticed and then that is when bittornado reacts. In some cases, this could take a while and result in a wasteful amount of downloading before the bad peer can be determined and be banned and the bad peer would have gotten a good amount of downloading done before it is shafted by some of the peers it was sending to and then tries its tricks on some other peers. If Merkle Hash Trees are implemented in Bittorrent some day, the granularity of piece verification would increase without greatly increasing the .torrent file's size and result in much faster bad piece detection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:09 pm 
how is it possible for someone to have multiple connection on one torrent? it doesnt get anymore retarded then this!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]