the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:27 am 
I seem to be having trouble d/l the Mandrake 10 isos using BitTorrent
My system randomly reboots and I have to start over. I assume that I am not losing anything when I resume the d/l, but its really frustrating to have this happen. I can be doing other things while I am d/l or just have the system idle, it makes no difference. I have set my monitor to be always on. I am running XP Pro with a Linksys cable modem and a Netgear router. I am trying to d/l the isos with windows so that it will be easier for me to put on CDs with Easy CD Creator, but my d/l rates stink, ususally 5-10 kb/sec and u/l is ususally double that. Every once in awhile my d/l will go up to 100 or so, but that is really rare and with this rebooting thing its been a real pain. Any help. I have looked on the forums and have dropped my files down to 40, but nothing seems to help. I hope someone can.
Thanks for listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:15 am 

Have you tried installing the latest drivers for your network adapter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:15 am 
Yes. I did that last night and nothing has changed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:11 pm 

BitTorrent is a good stress test for network adapters and their drivers. Some of them simply don't cut it. You may wish to consider getting a new network adapter for $16 at Wal Mart.

Oh -- if you're connecting to your uplink via USB, that can be the cause of your problem. Get an ethernet connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:39 pm 
How about if I disconnect the network and connect the cable modem to my computer bypassing the network and the router? I really don't want the network anyway. I have it set up with my wife's computer 5 feet away and there really isn't any point in having it, but I have been told that once you have set it up that you can't unset it up. I would still need the router to route the internet to both computers. I do have ethernet network cards in both computers which are running XP Pro right now. I am trying to d/l Mandrake 10 because it is supposed to have some good improvements over v. 9.2 which I am dual booting on my computer. It is not on hers. I am writing this on my sister's machine and thought of using it to d/l the isos, but she has a router too and I don't want to mess with it and she is running DSL and I am running cable.
Thanks for your help and time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:40 pm 

Install the client on Mandrake. It's unlikely you'll disrupt THAT stack. And if it's the machine that's rebooting then it's most likely your drivers and not the router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:56 pm 
i have pretty similar problem with comp restarting with bit tornado. Prior to upgrading to the recent beta, it was much more frequent. Now it's just once in a while it would restart out of no where. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bit tornado. I am using the latest drivers for my nic, not much I can do in that aspect. I just want to say something to improve the quality of the software.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]