the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:36 pm 
Basically, after downloading like 12hrs or so, the com hung and after I restart, bittorrent says 0% downloaded.
Happens with power failures too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 6:35 pm 

I've personally had power outages and resumed just fine where it left off at in BitTornado. Your problem sounds more like a filesystem problem. If you've been downloading for 12 hours, then there should be *plenty* of the file you downloaded left to resume at. If the filesystem you are saving on is journaled, hardly any of what you download should be lost on a power outage except what was still in the cache that hasn't been fully written out to disk before the power outage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:37 pm 
I also had the same problem!
Someone pulled out the wrong power cable and ofcourse the computer switched off. When I restarted it, I had to start again at 0!

What options need to be enabled to allow for data to be written?
While I'm downloading, I am losing hard disk space but the file itself is always 0, and I don't want to waste my time pre-allocating.
Right now I'm using the normal options (Normal allocate every 1mb)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:33 pm 

hmm. What file system are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:22 am 

It depends on the disk format. With FAT/FAT32, if power is cut off while a file is open for write, that entire file may be lost. I could make things periodically save and re-open but this would seriously affect performance.

Here's a possibility for you, though; if you run scandisk, or chkdsk /f, it will be able to resurrect those files. I'm not sure of the exact procedure for the new Windows OSes. Figure out which FILExxxx.CHK is which (they may be longer than your desired file size, rename it, then resume using that file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:06 pm 
oh ok, so to actually assign space to a file it needs to be closed and re-opened. With that being the case, how come the other people can resume it fine?
With that Scandisk idea, I understand the principle of it, but I always thought scandisk recovered stuff had a lot of other corrupted stuff in it (thus the extra space), did you come up with that idea on a principle or have people actually done it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:07 pm 
I think about starting and stopping it to "secure" the parts I've already downloaded but BitTorrent is a program that starts slow and picks up speed, so I'd go from say 20 or 30kb/s down to 4kb/s and would have to wait about an hour to get back up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:03 am 

TheSHAD0W wrote:
Here's a possibility for you, though; if you run scandisk, or chkdsk /f, it will be able to resurrect those files. I'm not sure of the exact procedure for the new Windows OSes. Figure out which FILExxxx.CHK is which (they may be longer than your desired file size, rename it, then resume using that file.

That's totally true, but you must run scandisk before doing anything else that could mean writing to the disk unit where the lost file is, otherwise you'll lose that file.

dill wrote:
With that Scandisk idea, I understand the principle of it, but I always thought scandisk recovered stuff had a lot of other corrupted stuff in it (thus the extra space), did you come up with that idea on a principle or have people actually done it.

I've done it many times, and since shad0w's client doesn't pre-allocate by default (unless you specify it in advanced preferences), the small extra space that may appear is just considered junk and there's absolutely no problems. Back when I used the experimental client, sometimes I had to cut off 2Kb of the recovered file because it refused to resume a file larger than the one it was told to download. Those 2Kb were there because scandisk doesn't know the exact size of the file, so it fills up the recovered file to the next FAT32 4k boundary (and since .avi files are always (?) divisible by 2k, I got always either exact size or 2k too big).

dill wrote:
oh ok, so to actually assign space to a file it needs to be closed and re-opened.

Yes, but if you don't have the complete file preallocated, any extra space taken on resume would also be lost after a crash (though Scandisk would fix it more easily, you wouldn't need to check for .CHK files). To make sure that no more crashes will disturb your download, preallocate before closing, and then resume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:49 am 

dill wrote:
oh ok, so to actually assign space to a file it needs to be closed and re-opened. With that being the case, how come the other people can resume it fine?

Maybe they're using NTFS or ext2 or some other filesystem that works differently from FAT. Maybe their machines aren't crashing and they're shutting down the client properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:54 am 
TheSHAD0W wrote:
Maybe their machines aren't crashing and they're shutting down the client properly.

The thread here is talking about when it can't close properly because of an external fault (like a power blackout)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:08 am 

Yes, and that's a Bad Thing. Never mind your BT download; you should fear for your system's integrity. When that happens too often, eventually you'll find you won't be able to boot the system any more.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]