the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:10 am 

Hey people..

Need ur help.. For the past few days, when I start to download, my internet connection gets disconnected. Modem will restart & then it wil start back on again.. the torrents file will resume downloading but if I'm unfortunate it will get disconnected in the middle. This happens frequently during the download. I'm using cable & wireless network connection. The problem never happens before.. :(

Has anyone experienced this before? does anyone knows whats wrong with it??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:38 am 
It's most likely that your modem and/or your system can't handle the high net traffic.
For the modem, look if there is a new firmware/driver available. There are some modems known to be buggy http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/36.html .
Also try updating the drivers of your network card.
If you're using some "old" OS like WinME/98, that may also be the cause of your problem. So you have to reduce the max number of connection. You can do this in Bittornado under prefs, advanced, max number of peers - set this to 60 or lower. Reducing the connections will also help if you don't succeed in updating your modem/nic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:06 am 

punisher wrote:
If you're using some "old" OS like WinME/98, that may also be the cause of your problem.

In my tests, Windows 98 can handle approximately 100 peer connections before not being able to accept anymore and the point that it can't accept anymore is when windows blue screens (around 105 or so). Too bad there isn't a limit setting of "80" in BitTornado. It has "60" then "100" but no in-between in the GUI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:12 am 

punisher wrote:
It's most likely that your modem and/or your system can't handle the high net traffic.
For the modem, look if there is a new firmware/driver available. There are some modems known to be buggy http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/36.html .
Also try updating the drivers of your network card.
If you're using some "old" OS like WinME/98, that may also be the cause of your problem. So you have to reduce the max number of connection. You can do this in Bittornado under prefs, advanced, max number of peers - set this to 60 or lower. Reducing the connections will also help if you don't succeed in updating your modem/nic.

My modem is not listed as the buggy type. I'm using Motorola brand. As for my network card, I've checked that its the latest update. I'm using WinXP Home Edition but I still tried out what u suggested (lowering the no. of peers) but still no effect. sigh! I'm running of option!! I still don't get it why it has to happen now?? I'm been using BT for quite some time & nothing like this happen.... sob..sob..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:18 am 

Does this problem happen with any other client?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:31 am 

bytetorrent wrote:
Does this problem happen with any other client?

So far I've been using Shadow experimental... not too sure abt any other client.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:43 am 

Try Azureus out from http://azureus.sf.net/

One of its features is "Slowly establish new connections to peers (for those with internet disconnection issues)" listed in its changelog (since version 2.0.4.0). If all the torrents you have disconnection issues with in BitTornado work just fine in Azureus, it could indicate that your connection (whether it is the network card, network drivers, cable modem, or router if you have one) cannot handle BitTornado's sheer speed at initiating new connections to peers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:12 pm 
i also get this problem, i am running a Motorola SURFboard cable modem. with a 3.4Mb connection, and alot of the time i will get disconnected then i will have to unplug my modem and let it restart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:57 am 

Mine too is Motorola surfboard! Model SBG1000.

I'll try out azereus & see how it goes..

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]