the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Memory Problem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:39 pm 
Ok, I think I have a good idea of the cause of this. When downloading a file bittornado keeps the data in memory until it allocates a file to write it in.

So, if you have a torrent that is larger than your memory eventually you could be in for some OOM messages...

What bittornado needs to do is more aggressively flush downloaded data to the disk, especially if the system is running low on resources.

Did you get that theShadow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:26 pm 
But even if pre-allocation is enabled, the memory leak still exists on my computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:53 am 
I think that a selectable completely new preallocation method would eventually solve the problem.
An "emule-like" method would work the best.
It could be added an option in the prefs that sounds like "Preallocate files whed download starts" and a fixed size memory buffer for read/write operations (also selectable into prefs).
I think this is the best way and also the simplest, from coder's perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:03 am 
Have you ever thought to port bittornado in C++?
I think it would be faster and no more big than a few kb in size...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:15 am 
That's not so much "porting" as "rewriting." It would be a huge undertaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:07 pm 
im using 0.3.12 on netbsd with python2.4 it uses at least 30M memory per torrent. Thats why i have swap of 500MB and it's always busy swapping. is there a quick fix to this?

Post subject: birthday
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:15 pm 
happy birthday thread..
its been a year now...
hopefully you die soon ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:59 pm 
shadow says:
"RAM usage is equal to the size of a piece times the number of simultaneous uploads the client is performing."
So now I'm wondering if his client loads the same segment twice if 2 downloaders request it, or is it smart enough to realise it already has the segment available and both uploads share the same handle on the same segment.
Didn't feel like reading every post in this thread so excuse me if I missed it, I did skim through it a bit though.
I'm not experiencing the RAM issues btw but I'm still using version 0.3.7 until a newer version is sufficiently bugfree or until I switch to another client of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:26 pm 
I gave up on BitTornado since this has bug has been known for a LONG time and there's still no fix for it. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:30 am 
Anonymous wrote:
I gave up on BitTornado since this has bug has been known for a LONG time and there's still no fix for it. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Well u dont have to give up. I noticed that if u minimise the window
to tray, bring it back up and minimise it again the windows frees up
memory that bittornado is using. then it starts to climb again. im using
0.3.11. Make a program to open it up and minimise it every so often.
Maybe will do the trick ay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:14 pm 
if you are reading this, you should be using the original bittorrent 4.1.3, it uses way less memory compare to Tornado. The same torrent use 30MB in Tornado but use 8MB in Torrent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:40 pm 
I guess I'm gonna try another client. I tried the various suggestions to stop BitTornado's "crash-on-close" problem, including disabling buffering, fixing page-file size, and waiting for ul/dl activity to stop before closing. I also added 1Gb RAM to my machine, and yet I still have a random crash-on-close problem. So I move on... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:15 pm 
Hmmm, I just tried the official BitTorrent client and also Azureus, and I see now the attraction of Tornado. Tornado has a nice combination of simplicity and utility. I just wish the author could fix the memory problems, or provide some indication of when the fix might be forthcoming (or whether Tornado is still being developed at all). I don't like to use software that crashes all the time. :? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:03 pm 
As far as I know it's still being developed however comlete from scratch using gtk instead of wxpython.
At least that's my understanding.

I've never had this memory problem, but then again I don't use the GUI so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:07 am 
tornado should fix the memory leak. it ridiculously use alot memory and swap(usually 20 to 30M per torrent) Using tornado also shorten my hard drive life because it keeps swapping. After i switch to original bittorrent, hard disk becomes quiet now but one of my hard drive already died of day and night non-stop swapping :cry:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next