the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: BT Causes My Net To Die
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:49 pm 
Since using BT, I've had one major problem. Everytime my computer goes idle, my fucking internet seems to go down. I always have to unplug it, ipconfig /renew etc to get i back up. Anyways, this never happens to me while using kazaa or winmx, only BT and it's really starting to fucking irritate me because I want to do overnight downloads and it kinda pisses you off when you were also uploading stuff to people via ftp, expecting like 5-10gb of shit to have been transferred, and you check it in the morning and boom, 1 minute after your computer went idle, your net went down. Each time only happening while using BT. Any idea how I can make this not happen? I'm planning on trying anti-idlers or something cause this is ridiculous, it only ever happens when I'm idle, one time I was reading what somebody had emailed me, and it killed my net cause I took over a minute to read it, lol. This was overcourse when I was not touching the mouse or keyboard.

Anyways, if anybody has any ideas, email me at no1livez@hotmail.com

Thanks (Shad0ws client rocks)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:17 am 
simple, disable your systems idle and just turn off the monitor. Unless your running on batterys for a laptop, you probably chouldn't idle if your doing that much file transfering anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:25 am 

Odd. Try updating your network adapter drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:45 pm 
I'm having exactly the same problem (whole internet connection dies after 1-2 hours). Did not happen with previous versions. When the network is down, even my Linux router can't ping it's gateway machine! Must shut down Windows, reboot Linux - then it works... again.

(Win2K SP4, 3COM 3C905C-TX with proper drivers, NO power saving options enabled -> Coyote Linux router -> GadLine cable modem.)

Currently I downgraded to S-5.8.11. It's rock stable - at least for me.

Post subject: Same problem
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:28 pm 
:shock:
I am haveing the same problem.. everytime i leave my torrent downloading i come back in 10 mins and my internet is down.. i have to go to my modem and unplug it then plug it back in... i do this about 10 times a day when i am trying to download something.... i have had my isp come and change my modem for me cause i told them it was broken. i wish there was something to stop this from happening.. even when my computer is not idle it dies on me, but not as often as when i leave it.. this computer is on 24/7 no powersavin, no screensaver, no monitor shutdown and only with bit torrent.. it is mind boggleing if anyone knows anything about it that would be great :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:25 am 

Check out http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/37.html and see if any of the tips there help you folks out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:04 pm 
Make sure you have the "always on" power profile in the power options in Control Panel, also go to Device Manager and select the power options for your Network Adapter and uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:55 pm 
I have the same exact problem. Bit torrent will cause my internet connection to die. I have DSL, and before using BT, I had an active connection for over 100 days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:46 pm 
DSL is evil. If you didnt know DSL limit your bandwidth. Once your upload goes to a certain point it will slow down your downstream speed or soemthing like that.

Post subject: A possible fix
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:53 pm 
You may want to limit the number of connections per torrent. Too many open connections can cause routers memory to overflow and lockup, esp if the router is designed for small networks.

ZC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:31 pm 
I get this problem too, i am at university but i know that the school doesn't block Bit Torrent but while i am downloading i will loose my net connection and ipconfig /release /renew does nothing .. i have to restart my computer ..... i would assume my schools routers are decent enough to handle the traffic. oh well .. i hope there is an easy fix, i hate having to restart and loose the share rating

Post subject: Netgear
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:57 pm 
I have the same problem, with one of my setups my p4 2.8 and netgear wireless WGR614 router dies after 30 minutes of being on BT, and with my other setup (p3 600 w/ netgear wireless WGT624) it hasn't died ever. Both use Bittornado and I have tried other clients and the same thing happens. My only thought is that it is the router or the internet connection however both are cable internet. I will have to try your suggestion ZC and see if that helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:10 pm 
I also have this problem and am using a linksys router. It only happens on my pentium 4, XP, laptop with 256mb of ram. My other desktop which is a celeron and has only 64mb of ram isn't having any problems and i'm able to download at 50-150 mb/s for atleast a day without any problems.
In some of the very old builds this problem didn't occur but i'm not sure which ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:10 pm 
I also have this problem and am using a linksys router. It only happens on my pentium 4, XP, laptop with 256mb of ram. My other desktop which is a celeron and has 64mb of ram isn't having any problems and i'm able to download at 50-150 mb/s for atleast a day without any problems.
In some of the very old builds this problem didn't occur but i'm not sure which ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:18 pm 
:idea: power option there,make sure you never turn off your monitor,system standby,system hibernates..then it should be okay~
cheer... :D

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next