the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:51 pm 
Basically, I've read loads on the YLS (yellow-light-syndrome) and firewalls etc. but it just seems to make me more and more confused!

I'm on 2.2 mbps broadband but usually get around 5 - 10 kbps d/l but can occasionally go up to 30 for some reason.

But any help on the following would be greatly appreciated!

My setup:

Win XP up to date, M/S antispyware, Spyboy S&D, etc. all good... I'm firewalled behind a US Robotics 'Sure Connect 9105' gateway/router.

Obviously, the settings on the above USR router are the problem. But all I'm doing now is just entering in bollocks figures to the router in the hope that it'll work, which is just stupid as I don't understand it fully - so I read up on it and it just confuses me more. Bearing in mind there's about 10 different words for the same thing!

In short, I know my WAN/router's IP on the internet, my IP on the LAN here, but that's about it! So a few questions:

1) Which section is the one I'm looking for in the router settings? 'IP Filtering' - 'inbound' or 'outbound'? 'Virtual Servers'? 'Port Triggering'?
2) What ports do I need forward or open? And is 'forward' even the right word!
3) Server IP address for forwarding? Should this be the WAN IP for the router, or THIS actual computer's LAN IP?
4) Which settings should I enter into BitTornado & where?

Post subject: Oops!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:52 pm 
Sorry, but basically, any tips would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Leo
(funkyleo - AT - freenet.co.uk)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:57 pm 
Damnit I'm incredibly forgetful today! I haven't got any software firewalls installed at all and the Windows XP one is disconnected completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:14 pm 
This has seemed to help:

NAT - DMZ host:

"The DSL Gateway will forward IP packets from the WAN that do not belong to any of the applications configured in the Virtual Servers table to the DMZ host computer."

Setting that to this actual computer has helped to get a green light on one torrent, download speeds not improved that much, but still, it's a start!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:00 am 
Thanks for your help everybody - you've been great.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]