the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:41 pm 
Evening all,

Firstly let me start by saying......I'm completely new to the whole torrent download thing - mainly cos I couldn't be arsed, partially because I didn't have the time for it. I'm looking for general advice on speeding things up a bit and would greatly appreciate any help and advice, or a web address / forum post link.

PC spec is : P4 2.8, 2GB Corsair DDR 400, 400GB SATA.

Connection is : 2MB ADSL, Netgear wireless PCI connecting through a Linksys *spit* WA54G.

Ok so I install BitTornado and read through the FAQ - set up port range forwarding as this initially:

Ports 10000 > 10010 forwarded to 192.168.1.2

ZA is set to allow BT full access, but is restricted from accesing certain IP ranges here in my local LAN - 1.2 is all it gets access too.

Bit tornado set to use those ports, randomisation turned off. Rate settings mode is 'Full', default rate setting is 'automatic', UPNP = Fast.

Set to DSL/cable fast. max upload rate @ 50kb with max uploads @ 6

All green, all go.

I found my torrent - 375MB in size. I am told there are 17 peers and 7 seeds (this good? bad? ugly?)

I averaged about 15KB down with 32kb up.

So....after reading through some posts, I try this config.

Ports forwarded 6881-6900.
Randomisation still off.
upnp = fast and default rate as automatic.

Changed settings to DSL/cable slow - max upload rate of 13kbs with max uploads @ 4.

18 peers, 6 seeds. seem to average @ 40-50kb down and 12kb up.

Still not particuarly fast, but an improvement.

I'd be interested in anything I can do to speed things up and any help / guidance here would really be appreciated.

Inititially I had difficulty connecting to trackers while I had peer guardian running - so took it off. Anyone else having problems there? Can anyone reccomend a good PG alternative?

many thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:19 pm 
20 views and not a single hello.....wow......I'm guessing most people here are between 12-17 and not developed social skills OR, perhaps not at all interested in helping....unless they have a reason to scream n00b.

anyhoooooo.........downloads seem to peak at 50kb but if I have to conect to more than 30 seeders......things just seem to hang......everything looks normal....but nothing happening....so have to start again.

any ideas?

No, probably not. I'll keep searching the net :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:54 am 
bittornado client is not for a noob, it is for old timer lol that likes inconvenient. woohoo. can you say dos client? lol.
Please look to other client for ease of use
Either Azureus or Bitcomet IMHO that are most popular and are catered to noobs. that is correct, if you can't help yourself no one is going to give a shit because they only care about themselves.
if you like downloading multiple torrents, bittornado opening multiple windows will use a lot more memory then other clients and will bring your computer to a crawl. it has to use multiple ports for multiple torrents
the client I mentioned use only one port!
that's right, let say you open port 10000
having multiple ports like bittornado is actually a disadvantage and is not faster. you are more likely to get hacked, worms crawling in since too many ports open = easier for them to find you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:57 am 
the port range you use are throttled by your isp
try other range number like 30,000
40000 any strange number that are not well known but don't use 6881-6889 that's for noob! LOL.
this is one of the reason why your speed is so slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:02 am 
Guys thanks for the info!

I'm not inexperienced with computers and the net, having used both sine 1993......I'm not looking for conveniant, just some tips on the best way to configure as I have never dealt with torrents before.

I will try a different port range tonight - so BT uses a single port for a single torrent, so if I download say....3 torrents, it will use 3 ports? Thats interesting, I only ever download two at a time, so I guess I can get away with two obscure port numbers.

As for worms etc getting in? It's a bit of a non issue with my setup.

Router>>>>(DMZ)IPCOP>>>SNORT>>>Server>>>>Client

I'm also going to get in touch with my ISP today (on the phone to them now actually) to find out if they do indeed port throttle or perform traffic shaping. I really hope they don't traffic shape....I pay for my bloody bandwidth and I should be able to do what I like with it!

As for the comment "if you can't help yourself no one is going to give a shit because they only care about themselves" Yes, you are probably right....but it's a damn shame the net has gone that way, in fact I think it explains many of the troubles the world has today......

perhaps if people took the time to help and displayed a bit of patience....well maybe; just maybe.....the world may be a better place.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback and I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:21 am 
From your original post: Your first setup seemed fine (with the 32kB upload). All you need to do is limit your upload speed (2mbit ADSL is typically 256kbit up = 32kB) to around 25kB and you should see an increase of your download speed. You need to set it lower than your theoretical maximum as a rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:24 am 
Guest,

Thanks for that! I'll give that a go! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:21 pm 
most leechers don't download just one torrent, they do 10, 20 or even 30 with crappy connection. that's why they are able to leech so well.
lower your upload to 15 to get about 200kb/sec
10, to get about 250kb/sec
with 25, you have only 8 that's only good for about 100kb/sec maybe less 90kb/sec
I do not recommend BT Experimental for leeching, it is best for seeding on rare occasion if you are the only seeder, initial seeder that is due to it's inconvenience. It'll be hard to max out your connection since bt does not upload much to those who cap their upload the most.
Those with 1.5/384k will still better better speed then you on most occasion. it is a tit for tat, trackers direct upload from others to those who upload most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:36 pm 
i suggest you not talk to your isp about bt throttling it's something they do not disclose to you and expect you to know nothing of it. you'll have little luck as your bandwidth is something their trying to conserve for others to use due to too any complaints from users about it but that maybe others problems like peek hours during traffic at 6 pm.
2.0/256 is kinda slow IMHO, 44.95 a month?
I pay 21.99 3.0/512 DSL from SBC now known as AT&T
I get 312kb/sec, 53kb/sec
Not too shabby? I have the option of going 6.0/608 for 49.99 but that's too expensive imho.
I believe you have charter cable, the slowest cable isp in America.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:43 am 
I'm not in America, I'm in Scotland.

I talked to my ISP about throttling and it's not something they do, in fact, I had a nice long chat about BT and p2p with the guy I talked too.

I've configured things further, am now getting downloads of about 70kb with uploads of 20kb.

Of course, I guess this is all dependent (to a certain extent) on how quickly people can push the files to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:45 am 
70kb/sec and 20kb/sec is soso. don't you say you have 2mb/256k
so it should be about 150-200kb/sec, 15kb/sec upload.
it sucks up about 15kb/sec off my 50kb/sec up speed so at 35kb/sec
i get about 250kb/sec download speed out of 300kb/sec max
don't worry about it being too low at 15kb/sec, bt auto adjust based on your upload speed.
often your download are pretty good even if you don't upload much.
it's user who are uploading 3kb/sec or less that slows everyone down the most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:54 am 
I peaked at 90kb last night, but not getting any higher than this. I'm thinking perhaps because of the amount of seeders / peers that exist for the torrents I'm after.

perhaps finding better torrent sites would work. typically to get 90kb a sec I'm connected to 15 seeds and 31 peers.

I'm happy now that my router / client is configured the way it should be......now maybe time to find better seeded torrents?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:25 pm 
i would suggest you run two torrent at once to increase your download speed. some will never max out your download cap so this is one way.
I think you can max your up speed at 32kb/sec. you can try slow cable setting then lower both to 10kb/sec. if you download is stilll unacceptable maybe you need set both to dial up and raise them both to 8. this will give you about 16kb/sec for your download ack to download at about 200-250kb/sec, that's if their are fast uploader in the swarm. if you have something like this 3.0/128, you'll have no choice but to cap it to 3kb/sec using dialup setting :b to get good download speed. isp often don't give you much so you cannot upload while downloading at your cap speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:28 pm 
i run 3 torrent at once, set them all to 13k/b on slow cable. i get about 200-250kb/sec while uploading 36-39kb/sec. it depends what kind of torrent you download too, it's not always this fast but i get this often.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:53 pm 
i run 3 torrent at once, set them all to 13k/b on slow cable. i get about 200-250kb/sec while uploading 36-39kb/sec. it depends what kind of torrent you download too, it's not always this fast but i get this often.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next