the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Still semi-slow
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:12 pm 
I have now succesfully opened my ports, and have a green light. However, I still am only getting roughly 50kB/s. It seems to have improved by a few kB/s over the last couple of hours, but I attribute that to an improvement in the individual speeds from my peers. I have seen people getting 100-250kB/s downloads, and am wondering if they are on a much faster connection, or if I am still doing something wrong. I am using a 54mb/s 802.11g wireless card, connecting to a Linksys router. I am only about fifteen feet from said router, and am getting optimal connection/speeds from it. I'm writing to a brand new Seagate 160GB hard drive, so that isnt the problem either. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it. Additionally, if you need more information, let me know. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:32 pm 
Firstly, do you know if your ISP is 'friendly' towards BitTorrent traffic?

Secondly, what is your upload side doing in BitTornado?
Is each upload slot averaging at least 3 KB/sec?

From what I've seen, it's better to skimp a little on total upload slots than to have too many upload slots. Even total upload speeds as fast as 40 KB/sec do ok with just 4 upload slots.

If you have a separate bandwidth monitoring program (I use AnalogX Netstat Live), see if your bandwidth use is even/smooth or bursty. Bursty is bad -- it means there's an overload somewhere, on your side or on the other side (other peers/seeds). Sadly you can only fix your side at best if there's a problem there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:08 pm 
Im uploading 36kB/s to six peers, so my upload seems to be doing well. If I try to crank the upload any higher, my download suffers. My ISP is friendly. Or, at least, it isnt unfriendly. I've been monitoring my download and at one point I got a connection giving me ~70kB/s, but that lasted only about ten minutes. I have not since seen any connection go above ~16kB/s. It may be that might 36kB/s is what is limiting me. I'll try dialing back to only 4 uploads, and see if that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:18 pm 
Well, I dialed back to only 4 uploads, and after experiencing a very short 15kB/s increase in my dl speed, the speed sharply fell to 10kB/s less than before. I've since brought my uploads back to 6, and dialed my upload max rate down to 32kB/s. This has resulted in a 18kB/s increase, so I'm going to stick with it for awhile. It is worth mentioning that I am now at ~80kB/s. I am starting to suspect that as I accumulate more data, I become more valuble to the swarm. I have as of now download 1246.05MiB of 3489.71 MiB. or slightly less than 36% of the file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:39 am 
How are you monitoring upload and download speeds?
BitTornado's overall speeds don't actually match what it shows under advanced (it lags behind).

Also neither really match what's really going on.
Due to packet overheads and BitTorrent traffic that isn't file pieces being swapped, there's considerably more bandwidth used than shown.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]