the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:44 am 
It took me quite a bit of time to figure out why I couldn't get the yellow light. Eventually I realized that not only did I need to stop BlackICE, a software-based firewall, but also that my Cisco VPN software, which has a service running even when not in use, was blocking something. Once I stopped both of those services people could connect to my PC (behind my DSL router and Linksys switch with port forwarding) and I got the green light.

TCPView from Sysinternals.com, the netstat command, and http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl were also the biggest helps!

Also I discovered that you really don't need to open up that many ports to the outside. 6881-6889 should be enough. BT uses one incoming port per client application, not network client connection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:50 pm 
Hi
I had the same problems with my BT and BlackICE.
But I think it possible to configure the firewall and stop to shot down BlackICE before using BT.

But I don't know how to do it yet.

May be some one can help us?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:37 am 
I had the same problem on windows xp and observed a lot of TrueVector errors in the event viewer's application error log. Those clues led to this web page http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm which is a bit long, so here is the message that pertained to how I got the green light.

Cisco VPN client
Mike Williams wrote the following on 2004-12-06:

More searching turned up some similar problems, with systems that have Cisco VPN Client installed—which I have—and its "Deterministic Network Enhancer"—which my system has. Your guide mentioned this, with no further details. I don't know anything about network determinism, but none of the threads [in another discussion forum] had clear solutions, though, and I have now identified one.

There's an extra security feature in the Cisco application called "Stateful Firewall (Always On)" mainly for the benefit of wireless situations (it was turned on by default in the version I got from my company's tech support). The way this feature is set up is somewhat counter-intuitive, as it says "Always On" in its name, whether or not the feature is turned on. The on/off indicator is actually a checkmark next to the item.

Control of the feature can be accessed either through the client's Options menu or by right-clicking on the yellow padlock icon in the taskbar when the client's active. Simply clicking on the item toggles it on/off; a checkmark appears. There's virtually nothing on this in the Cisco literature. Disabling (unchecking) the feature cleared up the problem.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]