the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:22 pm 

I recently wrote a treatise about why being firewalled causes problems with downloading; if you're curious about it, please feel free to visit http://bt.degreez.net/firewalled.html.

You can use this forum to ask how to fix your troubles; please state whether you are on a university network, whether you are behind a Cable/DSL Router and what brand and model, and what security software you are running.

Getting stuck behind a yellow light can be very frustrating. You may try fix after fix with no success. Please note that you may have several things stacked up in your way, and you may need to eliminate them to simplify your task. After taking the appropriate precautions, like running Windows Update and updating your antivirus software, uninstall any software firewalls and bypass your router, plugging directly into your uplink. Assuming Windows isn't blocking your port or you are able to convince Windows to open it, then add back the router and the firewalls one at a time, and work on them separately to figure out how to forward ports.

Last edited by TheSHAD0W on Mon May 31, 2004 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:48 am 
In times where we have internet dissidents like SkyNet who screw up computers for fun if they can get access to them a firewall is not only a good idea but indeed an essential component. Instead of encouraging people to open their systems up by claiming that firewalls are a bad idea it might be worth educating them in how to configure their firewalls to allow their P2P clients through. If you agree, how about re-phrasing the subject of the thread and re-titling the "treatise".

And when I'm on the subject...anyone know how to configure ZoneAlarm for bittorrents?

With respect
/Helter

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:46 am 
Firewalled with ZoneAlarm seems to be no problem. I have green light allthe time. Just make sure that btdownloadgui.exe on the Program Control page is allowed both Access and Act as Server in both the Trusted and Internet Zones.

With Respect
/Helter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:53 pm 

Helter, getting ports forwarded through people's firewalls is the purpose of this forum. I'll edit the firewall FAQ page to talk about security next chance I get, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:19 pm 
I would like to state that not only firewall cause the yellow light (receiving initiate session not allow) but also NAT. More and more wireless APs , ISP services modem links and several organizations use it. I, for one, setting up a NAT for my APs so I can get more machine connected to APs online without getting more IPs. This cause BT to not able to create connection back to a machine behind NAT. Would you say NAT be evil? I don't think so but if you are a system administrator or one who can set up NAT I bet you can set port forwarding so BT can run even behind NAT.

I also agree with others here that ZoneAlarm is not blocking BT. I am also using ZoneAlarm Pro. So it is not a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 4:43 pm 
A word of warning about Zone Alarm, though. Recently it seems that the basic version 5.x is having problems with Bit Torrent in general. It seems the problem is related to having lots of connections open at the same time; once a certain number are opened, the system slows to a crawl until many/most of them time out (or at least that appears to be the problem; I'm unsure if that's really it or not). Regardless, the only way to resolve it is to completely shutdown ZA whenever you are using BitTorrent. Let's hope that the guys over at Zone Labs address this problem soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:37 pm 
Since I upgraded to Bit Tornado, I've been having problems with "being firewalled"...

I have the built-in XP firewall disabled, and the program is allowed access in both Zone Alarm (5.0) and Norton.

Any help, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:02 pm 
Guest wrote:
.....I have the built-in XP firewall disabled, and the program is allowed access in both Zone Alarm (5.0) and Norton....

Do you mean you're running 2 firewalls, Zone Alarm & Norton? You should only ever be running 1 firewall at a time. You should also only ever run 1 anti-virus at at time.

Post subject: yellow light
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:02 pm 
i remember using this on an old computer but have a different one now. same connections but now i have a yellow light when in the past i didn't. i connect thru my employer's access so i'm guessing they figured it out. just can't find how to go about opening the one port for the bit torrent.

:?:

Post subject: yellows no firewalls
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:35 pm 
I'm fairly new to the torrent rage and was having troubles with yellows even after opening the port range on my firewall. It turned out that my ISP was blocking ports 6881-6999 from incoming TCP for "security reasons" a good workaround is to open ports 7045-7050 and setting your pref for these ports. Works great now and i get better downloads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:13 am 
Ok, i stumbled upon this in another forum and someone told me to check if my ports have been opened correctly. so i went to http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl
and followed the instructions and i received a message:
Attempting connect to: 165.21.154.15 port 6881
Fail!
Unable to connect. This likely means you need to adjust your port forwarding configuration, or there is no client running on that port.

Now what should i do? My dl speeds are rather slow: below 15kb/s even though i am supposed to run on a 512/256 modem. upload is normally maxed around 25 kb/s

pls help. thank you. Someone told me i have problems with firewall but i doubt i am under any (at least the xp one is left unchecked)...any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:13 am 
Hello all, I really need some assistance, I've recently started using Bittornado but it seems i'm having the same problem as many others. I'm a home user on Pipex 512 running thru a dlink di-604 router thru a
dsl-300T modem.
What am I doing wrong? I've forwarded the appropriate ports and set up a Special Application entry for bit torrent. I'm able to get speeds of about 30kibs on average but it has gone up to 55, but i'm still on a yellow light.
I have checked and I don't believe I am using any sort of firewall as the windows one is "unchecked" and I'm not using zonealarm or any such derivative.
What else can i do to get the fabled green light?

Cheers in advance,

Spurrious

Post subject: firewalled
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:42 am 
hey i just moved into an apartment connected with my university...i can't download with anything, not bit torrent winmx, mirc nothing...is there anyway to bi pass this and atleast let me use bit torrent? i'm going insane here...if anyone can help that'd be awesome thanx

Post subject: FW
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:19 am 
Firewall is only for n00bs and paranoic pplz.
FW is usefull after clean installation OS, when u really cant know which bullshits are made by instalator and how are things cofigured. After this period you really dont need it

----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:54 am 
Yablos wrote:
Firewall is only for n00bs and paranoic pplz.
FW is usefull after clean installation OS, when u really cant know which bullshits are made by instalator and how are things cofigured. After this period you really dont need it

and what about a virus, spyware, hackers? you can stop them with a firewall....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next