the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:49 am 
what is share rating, and is it important.

what is a seed and peer

why am i getting slow download speeds (5kb) with 12kb u/l and it says i got total speed of 180kb. i upload more than i download :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:58 am 
Well peers are other people that are downloading the same file that you are connected to.. weither your sending them info or they are sending you into.. seeds are people that are distributing the file.. having it all and sendind info out.. not still downloading.. as far as ratio. suposidy it dose nothing.. just there to make people help keep the torrent active by hoping they upload untell they have uploaded 1 k for every 1k downloaded.. and the total speed is the speed that the torrent (all copys not just yours) is being sent.. so if 10 people are downloading and 10k the total speed is 10k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:58 am 
Well peers are other people that are downloading the same file that you are connected to.. weither your sending them info or they are sending you into.. seeds are people that are distributing the file.. having it all and sendind info out.. not still downloading.. as far as ratio. suposidy it dose nothing.. just there to make people help keep the torrent active by hoping they upload untell they have uploaded 1 k for every 1k downloaded.. and the total speed is the speed that the torrent (all copys not just yours) is being sent.. so if 10 people are downloading and 10k the total speed is 10k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:00 am 
the G word wrote:
so if 10 people are downloading and 10k the total speed is 10k

opps that should ne total speed of 100k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:12 pm 
Isn't the system sorta self-destructive then? If a torrent has no seeders, no one can finish downloading to create a new seeder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:34 pm 

dill wrote:
Isn't the system sorta self-destructive then? If a torrent has no seeders, no one can finish downloading to create a new seeder...

No. Peers can still finish downloading a torrent even without a seed as long as the torrent's data is distributed enough for the peers to complete a file from each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:54 pm 

bytetorrent wrote:
dill wrote:

No. Peers can still finish downloading a torrent even without a seed as long as the torrent's data is distributed enough for the peers to complete a file from each other.

only if each chunk is available spread on the tracker....wich is not the case at bakasan since everyone downloads at 350k there when there's data, but after some time it just dives down and no one has over a certain % (everyone has exactly the same % so it must be not spreading data)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:46 am 

BitTorrent is designed for legitimate use, and at least one dedicated seed for each torrent is supposed to be provided. The "seed and forget" of current w4r3z distro sites is a corruption of the concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:08 am 

i think bittorrent is for the main part being used legitimate, its my experience that bt is used most for anime downloading wich is usually legal, the weekly naruto download has monster stats like 5000 downloaders n so on while popular games get half if their lucky, usually a lot less, but i really don't think legitimate means dedicated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:22 pm 

Actually, technically, most anime sharing is illegal, as per the Berne Convention...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:28 pm 

oO it is? they all say as long as it's not licensed you can distribute as you like, and that's why they allow it while other things like movies and music are illegal

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]