the forums at degreez.net

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:12 am 
Hey, I'm not sure if this is a known program, but someone sharing their connection with Microsoft's ICS on WindowsXP is forced to open each port manually. This can be a right balls, especially if you want to forward a port range for say, BitTorrent or DCC.

Anyway after an unbelievable amount of searching I've stumbled upon a program that will allow you to do said task.

http://www.pretentiousname.com/ICFRanger/

The source is included for those of you who want to muck with it.

Kudos to Leo Davidson.

(of course if there's a better utility that I've somehow missed please enlighten me.)

-Kev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:32 pm 
that didnt work. I still get the yellow light.

I should mention Im using SP2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:38 pm 
worked for me!!
BUMP!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:20 pm 
Hi Ive recently got 3 computers networked, and I too have really been stumped trying to fix the Yellow Light problem on two other machines. I found a Utility a while ago that some of you might like to try, although it is perhaps not as good as the ICFRanger (Which I have not tried yet) Still heres the site and some usefull Information about ICS

TIPS
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sha ... ration.htm

Maybe some of you can send them some mappings when you figure this out, it would save all us novices loads of hassle. (Please note I suspect the programmer of the ICS Configuration Utility V1.5 has cleared off, his site is gone! But the utility is still around ;o) Click the link below or copy and paste it to download.

DOWNLOAD
http://www.shocksystems.com/webfiles/wi ... fginst.exe

Chelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:25 pm 
Hi,
At last I finally got a solution for Bittornado on my Internet Connection Sharing PC Network. There is a small configuration file that you can download and customise to your needs from the Microsoft website. Go here for more Instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... ;en;231162

I decided to include my solution here for anyone else who needs it! I have stripped out my own local machine I.P Address, but left some fixed ranges (5881-5889) in there which you might like to modify. I am using ranges around 50481-50489

First make sure you choose your own port range and incorporate the range into the file. Copy the entire contents of the code below between the "*******" and save it as an inf file. Right click the file choosing Install, once installed reboot your computer. Hey presto it works. I am using Windows ME, so I can't speak for other OS but thats why you should read the MS site above.

(You cam uninstall it later by following the Instructions on the Microsoft Website although an easier way might be to use Cleansweep or a similar Install manager to create a monitor log for later removal)

***************** Copy below this line and paste into a new txt file ***************

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=PortSample

[DefaultUnInstall]
DelReg=PORT_SAMPLE_DEL_REG

[PortSample]

; This data points to the computer that is running the service.
; 0.0.0.0 represents the computer running the ICS services. This
; can alternatively contain the IP address of one of the ICS client
; computers.
; A typical I.P. Address for 0.0.0.0 might be 192.168.1.50
; This is the I.P. Address of the machine NEEDING Port Forwarding to it.

HKLM,%ICSACTIVE%,BITTOR,,"0.0.0.0"
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR

HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR,Name,,"BTUI"

HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR,Options,1,00,00,00,00

HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0000
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0000,Type,,"TCP"
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0000,Port,,"5881-5889"
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0000,Translation,,"NORMAL"

HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0001
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0001,Type,,"UDP"
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0001,Port,,"5881-5889"
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR\0001,Translation,,"NORMAL"

[PORT_SAMPLE_DEL_REG]
HKLM,%ICSINSTALLED%\BITTOR
HKLM,%ICSACTIVE%,BITTOR

[Strings]
ICSINSTALLED="System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ICSharing\Mappings\Installed"
ICSACTIVE="System\CurrentControlSet\Services\ICSharing\Mappings\Active"

******************************** End Copy ************************************

Now save the new txt file that you paste this into as an install.inf file!/Right click/Install

Make sure your Bittorrent client is using the right port range you are forwarding....

Good Luck Michelle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:35 pm 

Hi, if anyone needs some help with Port Forwarding for Internet Connection Sharing I don't mind creating some customised scripts for two or more PC's running on a LAN as this works for me, and I think I got it sussed out 8)

I have been playing around with the above MS scripts, and have now got both PCs on my lan to have a Steady and reliable Green Light, no more yellow light problems for me.

I have my Windows 98se pc set to a manual IP address for my Lan, this ensures that port forwarding always works, as a dynamic IP address might be created using DHCP that might be wrong for P.Fwd using the script. XP might be a problem, because I don't use that! I don't know how to set up a static LAN IP address on XP, but its easy for Win98SE and ME

Drop me a line if you need help, but please know I have no clue about routers :shock: I'm only little those things are toys for boys.

Michelle

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]